NEWARK, Del. – The Towson University men's lacrosse team jumped out to an early lead and held off a late charge by Syracuse University for a 10-7 win in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Sunday afternoon.
With the win, the Tigers advanced to the NCAA Semifinals for the third time as a Division I program. Towson will face Ohio State next weekend in the national semifinals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Towson jumped out to an early lead scoring all six of the first quarter goals.
- Jon Mazza put the Tigers up early with an unassisted tally at 12:23.
- The Tigers then scored four straight goals in which Ryan Drenner picked up the assist. That run, which gave the Tigers a 5-0 lead with 2:20 to go in the quarter, saw Joe Seider score twice.
- Seider wasn't done yet though as he scored his third of the quarter with just 13 seconds left in the stanza.
- Syracuse scored the first two goals of the second quarter, which made it a 6-2 game with 4:53 to go until the half.
- The Tigers came firing back as Mike Lynch scored his second of the day and Seider struck for his fourth of the game.
- That gave Towson an 8-2 lead at the half.
- The third quarter was dominated by the defense as each team managed to strike for just one goal.
- Nate Solomon scored for the Orange while Matt Wylly tallied his second of the day for the Tigers.
- Syracuse applied the pressure in the fourth quarter, scoring four of the five goals in the period.
- The Tigers and Orange traded goals early in the stanza. Tyler Konen's goal gave Towson a 10-4 advantage with 13:02 to play.
- Solomon scored three straight for Syracuse to close out the period but it wasn't enough as Matt Hoy made three fourth quarter saves to secure the win for the Tigers.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Towson was playing in the NCAA Quarterfinals for the second straight year and earned its first quarterfinal victory since the 2001 campaign.
- The win was just the third all-time for the Tigers against the Orange and Towson's first since the 1973 season.
- Towson posted its 12th win of the season, tying the 2015 team for the second-most wins in a season under head coach Shawn Nadelen.
- Hoy posted 12 saves to earn his seventh win of the year in goal. Evan Molloy made 12 saves in the loss for Syracuse.
- Both teams won 10 faceoffs in the game.
- Seider matched his career-high with four goals in the contest while Wylly also matched his career-high after finding the back of the net twice.
- Drenner's four helpers in the game matched his career-best.
The Tigers are back in action on Saturday, May 27 when they face Ohio State in the NCAA Semfinals. That game will be played at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.