In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

lacrosse-men-d1 flag | February 9, 2014

JHU wins in 3OT

Johns Hopkins beats Ohio State

BALTIMORE -- Ninth-ranked Ohio State fell to No. 13 Johns Hopkins 10-9 in triple overtime Sunday in its season opener. The Buckeyes, led by junior Jesse King with five goals and six points, rallied with three late goals in the fourth quarter to tie the game at 9 but the Blue Jays converted 59 seconds into the third overtime for the win.

King opened the scoring just 1:02 into the game with an unassisted goal. The Blue Jays tied score on a goal from Ryan Brown at 6:54 but a minute later junior Turner Evans, who ended the day with four points on a goal and three assists, found sophomore Carter Brown in front for a goal and 2-1 Buckeye lead at 5:54. Shots were 11-8 in favor of Hopkins in the quarter. Johns Hopkins scored the only goal of the second quarter, with Connor Reed tallying at 13:58, to send the teams into halftime tied at 2. The Blue Jays outshot the Buckeyes 11-6 in the stanza.

After just four goals in the first half, the teams combined for nine goals in the third quarter and the Blue Jays led 8-5 after the first 45 minutes. JHU scored twice in 54 seconds (at 13:54 and 13:00) to take a 4-2 lead before King scored, assisted by Evans, at 10:51, ending a scoreless streak of 25:03 for the Buckeyes. The teams traded goals, with Reegan Comeault scoring, assisted by Brown, for the Buckeyes at 8:38 to make it 5-4. Hopkins scored the next two goals to take a 7-4 lead at 4:49. King found Evans for a goal at 4:05 but Wells Stanwick scored at 2:40 to regain the three-goal lead for the Blue Jays. Shots were 12-4 in favor of the Blue Jays in the quarter, with Buckeye goalie Greg Dutton making four saves in the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Ohio State outscored the Blue Jays 4-1 to force overtime. King drew the Buckeyes within two (8-6) at 11:31, set up by Comeault but Hopkins' Brown scored the next goal to again put the Blue Jays ahead by three (9-6), tallying at 7:50. The Buckeyes then scored three times in 3:45 to even the score for the first time since early in the third quarter.

King scored back-to-back goals at 6:52 and 4:49, with Evans assisting on the second tally, to make it a one-goal game. At 3:07 sophomore Charlie Schnider found newcomer Gordie Koerber, deadlocking the score at 9. Ohio State outshot Johns Hopkins 10-6 in the quarter and had 10 groundballs to Hopkins' four.

The Buckeyes had the only two shots on goal through the first two overtimes. Overall, Ohio State outshot the Blue Jays 4-0 in the first overtime and 3-1 in the second. A slashing penalty was called on JHU with 54 seconds remaining in the second overtime and it carried over, giving Ohio State the ball to start the third overtime. In the third overtime, Ohio State turned the ball over and Hopkins was able to clear and then took a timeout. The Blue Jays' Brandon Benn scored after the timeout to give JHU the win.

Ohio State was outshot 42-35 in the game. Dutton made 11 saves in 68:59 for the Buckeyes. Eric Schneider had 13 saves in the cage for the Blue Jays.

Each team had 30 groundballs. Ohio State was led by Dutton and Brown, who each had five, and Evans picked up four. The Buckeyes caused 11 turnovers, including three by senior Dominic Imborino and two each from Evan Mulchrone and Robby Haus.

No. 3 North Carolina 19, Furman 3

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Fourteen different Tar Heel players scored goals as No. 3 North Carolina opened its 2014 season with a 19-3 win against Furman on Sunday afternoon at Paladin Stadium before a crowd of 1,456 fans.

The Tar Heels won its season opener for the 16th consecutive season. Furman, playing its first Division I season under head coach Richie Meade, fell to 0-2 on the campaign.

Head coach Joe Breschi's team excelled defensively, limiting the Paladins to three goals. That total is the fewest by a UNC opponent since March 18, 2008, when the Tar Heels defeated Marist 12-3 at Fetzer Field.

The Tar Heels outshot the Paladins 48-20 on the afternoon. Carolina won the groundball battle 34-12 and took a 16-9 advantage at the faceoff X. The Tar Heel defense harassed the Paladins into 16 turnovers while UNC committed only nine. Senior R.G. Keenan won 11 faceoffs on the day to pass the 600 mark in career faceoff wins. He now has 605, a total 118 shy of the school record.

Fourteen Tar Heels found the back of the goal led by junior Joey Sankey who recorded a hat trick. Sankey now has nine career hat tricks and he has recorded a point in 22 consecutive games.

Sophomores Spencer Parks and Brent Armstrong and senior T.J. Kemp each notched a pair of goals while sophomore Patrick Kelly scored once and added three assists. Those were the first three assists of Kelly's career.

Senior Will Campbell, sophomores Joe Costigan and Steve Pontrello and freshman Shane Simpson each had a goal and an assist for the Tar Heels. Other goal scorers for the Tar Heels were Pat Foster, Chad Tutton, Luke Goldstock, Michael Tagliaferri and Peyton Klawinski. Tutton's goal allowed him to extend his goal-scoring streak to 14 successive games during the past two seasons. Ryan Creighton and Drew Hays each recorded assists in the game for the Heels.

Three different Furman players had a goal each -- Kenny Meinsen, Chase Hancock and Ben Levin.

Sophomore Kieran Burke started his 18th consecutive game in goal for UNC and made seven saves while allowing two goals in 45 minutes.  Redshirt-freshman Duncan Saunders made one save and allowed one goal in 13:14 and Bradley Dunn finished out the duties for Carolina, playing the final 1:46 in goal.  Furman starter Frazer Kinsley made 13 saves in goal in 51:15 before Jake Gavin came on to make three saves in the final 8:45.

Three Tar Heels shared faceoff duties with Keenan winning 11 of 17 faceoffs and posting a game-high five groundballs. Freshman Stephen Kelly won three of four faceoffs and his older brother, Frankie Kelly, a senior, was 2-for-4 on faceoffs.  Hill Blaze took the majority of the draws for Furman, going 9-for-21.