May 13, 2010

Courtesy of

LEXINGTON, Va. --- Elizabethtown College defeated 14th-ranked Washington & Lee University 13-12 in a twice-delayed NCAA Division III Women's Lacrosse Tournament first-round game Wednesday night.

The game, originally scheduled for 4:30 p.m. at Watt Field, was delayed until 8:00 p.m. due to heavy thunderstorms in the area and moved to the W&L Turf Field. Then, the game was delayed 90 minutes with 18:54 remaining due to lightning in the area before it was completed at 11:12 p.m.

Rachael Waldman finished with 11 saves, Stephanie Kreis scored two goals and dished out six assists and Katie Caprinolo, Megan Byrnes and Sarah Cullinan each finished with three goals as the Blue Jays (16-4 overall) picked up the win in the first NCAA tournament game in program history.

With the victory, the Blue Jays advance to play the University of Mary Washington in a second-round game Saturday at 4:30 p.m. at Franklin & Marshall College. The Eagles defeated Drew University 18-8 in a first-round game Wednesday afternoon.

Meredith Freeman scored six goals to lead the Generals (14-5 overall) while Emmy Mathews had four goals and an assist, but Waldman's goalkeeping helped neutralize a 34-18 advantage in shots by Washington & Lee.

Cullinan and Caprinolo each reached the 50-goal plateau for the season with their three-goal efforts against the Generals, while Kreis became the second player in program history to reach 100 points in a season, joining Katie Foley who had 115 points in 2009. Kreis has 45 goals and a school single-season record 60 assists for 105 points in 20 games this season.

Byrnes opened the scoring for the Blue Jays 4 1/2 minutes into the first half, but the Generals answered with goals from Wilton Megargel and Freeman to take a 2-1 lead. Caprinolo and Mathews exchanged goals, then the Blue Jays tallied three straight goals from Cullinan, Byrnes and Caprinolo to go ahead 5-3 with 12:27 left in the first half.

Washington & Lee tied the game at 5-5 with 5:16 left in the first half on goals by Maddie McKaig and Mathews. Katie Scheurich put the Blue Jays back ahead 6-5 with 3:48 remaining, but Freeman scored with 1:23 left to send the teams to halftime tied 6-6.

Cullinan scored in the first minute of the second half to give the Blue Jays a 7-6 lead, but goals from Freeman and Mathews pushed the Generals back on top 8-7 with 25:07 left. Elizabethtown then ran off four straight goals, as Kreis scored twice and Caprinolo and Cullinan added tallies to give the Blue Jays an 11-8 lead just prior to the weather delay.

After the delay, Freeman scored to cut the Elizabethtown lead to 11-9 with 14:06 to play, but Byrnes and Meg Cassels fired home goals to send the Blue Jays on top 13-9 with 7:52 remaining.

The Generals were not finished, as goals by Freeman, Mathews and Freeman again brought Washington & Lee within 13-12 with 2:43 remaining. Mathews had a shot for the tie with 1:35 left, but Waldman made the stick save to preserve the Blue Jay lead.

A turnover with 55 seconds left gave Washington & Lee possession, but a shot by Megargel was high with 15 seconds to go and a turnover with 10 seconds left allowed the Blue Jays to run out the clock.

Defensively, Alexis Morris had three draw controls and three ground balls for the Blue Jays, including the final one of the game that clinched the win. Mathews led the Generals with four ground balls and three draw controls, and had a pair of caused turnovers.

Katharine Farrar played all 60 minutes in goal for Washington & Lee and finished with two saves.