May 15, 2010

Courtesy of Trinity Athletics

Gettysburg, Pa. - Senior midfielder Alisen Urquhart (Redding, Conn.) notched three goals and an assist and added four ground balls to lead the Trinity College Bantams to a 17-8 victory over the Stevens Institute of Technology Ducks in the second round of the NCAA Division III Women's Lacrosse Championship Tournament this afternoon on Clark Field at Gettysburg College. The Bantams, ranked No. 8 in the nation, improve to 14-3 and will play the host Gettysburg College Bullets in tomorrow's NCAA Quarterfinal game at 3 p.m. Stevens ends its season with a 17-3 mark after its first loss in 10 games. The win gives Trinity a second win in the NCAA Division III Women's Lacrosse Tournament for the first time in its history and improves the College's overall mark in the tourney to 4-5. The Bantams will be making their fourth appearance in the NCAA Quarterfinals tomorrow at Gettysburg, which defeated Trinity, 13-8, in the NCAA Second Round on Clark Field in 2007. The teams also faced each other in 2004, when the Bullets earned an 11-10 win. No. 4-ranked Gettysburg won easily against Babson, 18-5, in the other NCAA Second Round Game at Clark Field earlier today.

Trinity never trailed in the contest, as sophomore midfielder Liz Bruno (Andover, Mass.) beat her defender one-on-one to the goal and shot past Stevens senior goalie Shannon McFadden (Baltimore, Md.) 1:10 into the game. After the Ducks scored their first goal at the 20:11 mark when freshman midfielder Spencer Waybright (West Hartford, Conn.) received a pass from behind the net by senior attackman Alyssa Pigott (Jobstown, N.J.) and fired past Bantam sophomore goalkeeper Stephanie Fisher (Brunswick, Maine), the Bantams answered immediately with three similar tallies that saw passes from three different players on the right wing find three different streaking Trinity players in the middle to give the Bantams a 5-1 advantage with 12:07 on the clock. The teams traded goals over the last 8:18 of the first half and each team scored twice in the first five minutes of the second stanza, before Trinity took control with a 5-0 run to turn a 9-5 lead into a 12-5 advantage with 13:24 left in regulation. Freshman attacker Megan Leonhard (Summit, N.J.) made good on a pass by senior tri-captain midfielder Sarah Remes (Silver Spring, Md.) to start the run with 23:55 on the clock, while Urquhart and junior attacker Caitlin Irvine (Westwood, Mass.) each scored twice during the spurt. Pigott assisted on one goal and scored another over a 49-second span late in the second half, but Trinity maintained possession almost the entire final eight minutes of the contest and scored four times over that period.

The Trinity defense disrupted Stevens throughout, particularly on clears, holding the Ducks to 5-for-14 on clears in the first half and 8-for-19 for the game. The Bantams also dominated the draw with a 20-to-6 advantage and outshot the Ducks, 33-15. Irvine, Leonhard, Urquhart, and senior attacker Kristin Phelps (Sudbury, Mass.) each recorded Bantam hat tricks, while Bruno had two goals and one assist, Remes added one goal and two assists, and freshman Haley Thompson (Ipswich, Mass.) registered one goal and one assist. Senior tri-captain attacker Jenn Calver (Barnard, Vt.) joined Urquhart with a team-high four ground balls and Fisher finished with three saves in goal, all of which came on hard shots by the Ducks from close while the game was still in doubt, and improved to 7-0 this spring. Pigott tallied a goal and a game-high three assists, while Waybight and sophomore attacker Jenna Scheibling (Long Valley, N.J.) each scored twice for the Ducks. Stevens junior defender Kate Cox (Aston, Pa.) scooped four ground balls and McFadden made eight saves in goal.

"This was the most complete game we have played this season," said Trinity Head Coach Kate Livesay. "We were consistent from beginning to end in all facets of the game, and I was pleased with our composure in an intense tournament atmosphere. We were able to force some turnovers early, which gave us confidence and we never let the momentum switch back over. The players were focused and executed our game plan as well as I could have expected."