Caroline Lamere led scoring for Rollins.
Rollins Athletics

WINTER PARK, Fla. -- Rollins led 10-5 at halftime and had to hold off Lock Haven down the stretch as the Tars beat LHU 11-10 on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Division II tournament.

The win for Rollins (16-1) was the first postseason victory in program history and puts them into the national semifinals for the second year in a row. The Lady Eagles’ season ends with a record of 15-3.

Caroline Lamere scored three goals and added an assist to lead Rollins. Kelly Thayer also tallied three goals while Courtney Bianculli and Sophie Townsend each scored a goal and an assist.

Lock Haven spread the scoring around with four players scoring two goals. Jessica Pandolf, Emily Cilla, Chelsea Borrino and Jill Murray all found the back of the net twice.

Elyse De Lisle recorded the win for the Tars, racking up nine saves. Chrissy Buffuto got the decision for LHU, earning eight saves.

Murray got the scoring started with a score less than two minutes into the game. The Tars then rattled off five unanswered to take a 5-1 advantage with 19:10 left in the first. Thayer and Lamere each scored twice during the run.

Pandolf stopped the Tars spurt with a goal at the 18:17 mark, but Anna Townsend got it back for Rollins 13 seconds later, making the score 6-3.

After another Lock Haven score, Rollins rolled off three in a row and led 9-3 with 13:03 left in the half.

Lock Haven bookended Lamere’s third of the day, sending the game to intermission with Rollins leading 10-5.

The sweltering heat took a toll in the second half as the tempo for both teams was significantly slowed.

The Lady Eagles then finally swayed momentum in their favor as a goal from Kelly Close and two by Cilla closed the gap to 10-8 with 15:12 to play. Thayer then scored with 14:04 to play to make the score 11-8, but it would prove to be the Tars only tally of the half.

Lock Haven came charging back in the final minutes, led by back-to-back goals by Borrino. Her last score with 7:02 to play cut Rollins lead to 11-10.

The wild final five minutes saw two saves from Buffuto, a De Lisle stop of a free position shot and one shot for each team rattling off the post.