Women's lacrosse: Boston College's Sam Apuzzo breaks program record with nine goals in win over Navy
NEWTON, Mass. – Junior Sam Apuzzo netted nine goals — breaking the Boston College lacrosse program record for goals scored in a single game — Tuesday as the No. 6 Eagles defeated No. 11 Navy 20-14 at home in a rematch of last year's national semifinal game.
While the Midshipmen (3-1, 0-0) held the lead for a good portion of the first half, Apuzzo's fourth goal of the day sparked a 7-0 run for the Eagles (6-0, 1-0) to take the lead. Coming out of the half, Navy kept it a close game, scoring six second-half goals to BC's eight, but the Eagles held on in their third 20-point game of the season.
Junior goalkeeper Lauren Daly secured nine saves on the game, matching her career high.
Score: Boston College 20, Navy 14
Records: Boston College 6-0 (1-0 ACC); Navy 3-1 (0-0 Patriot League)
Location: Newton Lacrosse Complex, Newton, Mass.
- Apuzzo topped the program's record for goals in a single game, scoring nine in Tuesday's win. This broke Kate Weeks' eight-goal record set at Massachusetts on March 8, 2017. Apuzzo, a junior, also had an assist, giving her 10 points on the game, which matched her career high.
- Junior Brooke Troy netted her first goal of the season off a free-position shot.
- Tuesday's win marks the third 20-point game for the Eagles through just six showings.
- Junior Dempsey Arsenault produced a hat trick and six assists — her new career high — for nine points on the game, which is another new career high for the mid.
- Senior Tess Chandler notched her first two-goal performance on the season.
- Junior Elizabeth Miller won a game-high seven draw controls.
- Navy came out energized, going up 7-4 to open the game, but a goal from Apuzzo ignited a seven-goal run to regain the lead, which was held until the conclusion of the game.
How it happened
- Apuzzo posted a natural hat trick to open up the Eagles' scores, but Navy was persistent and took the lead soon after.
- Following two Midshipmen goals, Apuzzo jumpstarted a seven-goal run, giving the Eagles the lead.
- Navy netted another goal but Apuzzo scored her fifth of the game to close the first half and the Eagles went into the break up 12-8.
- The Midshipmen scored first coming out of the half but could not control the lead from there on out.
- BC had four goals to close out the game, including a final-second goal from freshman Jordan Lappin to push the Eagles to a 20-point win.
Points: Sam Apuzzo, 10
Goals: Sam Apuzzo, 9
Assists: Dempsey Arsenault, 6
Draw controls: Elizabeth Miller, 7
Ground balls: Dempsey Arsenault, 4
Saves: Lauren Daly, 9
Points: Jenna Collins, 6
Goals: Jenna Collins, 5
Assists: Kelly Larkin, 3
Draw controls: Jenna Collins, 5
Ground balls: Ingrid Boyum, 4
Saves: Ingrid Boyum, 6