Creighton 3, Northwestern 2


 OMAHA, Neb. - Joan Carvajal scored twice and Brian Biggerstaff netted the game-winning goal with five minutes to play as the 16th-ranked Creighton men's soccer team won a nailbiter over No. 23 Northwestern 3-2 at Morrison Stadium on Tuesday night. The win pushed the 14th-seeded Bluejays into a third round NCAA match up at third-seeded Maryland on Sunday at noon.

Northwestern (15-6-2) got the scoring started in the 14th minute on a misplayed ball. The Wildcats benefitted from an own goal which a CU defender knocked into the net in the 14th minute. Freshman David Roth was credited with the tally as it was his crossing pass that was put into the net by the CU defense.

The Bluejays (14-4-1) evened the match before halftime when Joan Carvajal scored just his second goal of the season. The rookie was able to pound in a rebounded shot, originally put on by Kama Bennah and saved by NU keeper Justin Pines. Tony Odorisio was also credited with an assist on the tally in the 35th minute.

The score and match was even at half. Both teams had seven shots and seven each in the first 45 minutes, while Pines stopped two shots and freshman Matt Allen stopped one in goal for the Bluejays.

Roth gave the Wildcats a 2-1 lead when he scored in the 62nd minute. The freshman had his first shot attempted saved, but stuck with the play and hammered in his second goal of the match and fifth on the season.

Carvajal was not to be outdone in the battle of rookies on this night. The freshman from Miami was in the right place at the right time when another freshman, Tim Bohnenkamp, sent a crossing pass to the middle. Carvajal headed in the pass in the 66th minute to even the game at 2-2.

The game remained tie with more balanced and exciting play for the next 20 minutes. Northwestern had an opportunity to take the lead in the 83rd minute when the Wildcats were awarded a penalty kick. Gerardo Alvarez missed an open left side of the net, as CU keeper Allen had guessed wrong and dove to his own left. Alvarez's shot sailed high and wide left to keep the game even.

The Bluejays took the momentum from there, with 1,871 buddled up fans at their backing. CU's leading scorer Brian Biggerstaff scored the game-winning goal at the 85:06 mark. The junior, who sat out the last CU match due to a red card suspension, flipped on a spectacular shot with his heal, redirecting Jarod Tarver's shot into the net. Julian Nash also assisted the play, Biggerstaff's eighth goal of the year.

CU now returns to action on Sunday at noon (CST) at College Park, Md. The No. 3 seed and seventh-ranked Terrapins topped Hofstra, 4-0, in their second round match on Tuesday night.

-- Courtesy Creighton