Wake Forest 5, Central Florida 0



WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Senior striker Scott Sealy recorded three goals and two assists to lead top seed Wake Forest to a 5-0 victory over UCF in the second round of the 2004 NCAA Mens Soccer Tournament at Spry Stadium on Tuesday night.

With the win, Wake Forest moves to 14-5-1 and advances to play Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday, while UCF finishes the season with an 11-7-2 record.

The two teams battled back and forth in the opening minutes of the match. The Demon Deacons had a flurry of offensive chances in the 15th minute, beginning with a shot by junior Michael Parkhurst that hit the left post. The rebound came out to senior Scott Sealy, who hit the crossbar with his shot. On a subsequent corner kick, UCF junior goalkeeper Ryan McIntosh (Cooper City/St. Thomas Aquinas) was forced to corral the serve to avoid a point blank shot.

Sealy got the Wake Forest offense started at 28:31. Junior Justin Moose set up the play with a pass up to freshman Patrick Phelan. He crossed it to the opposite side of the box where Sealy knocked it passed McIntosh. Sealy also assisted on the goal by senior Stephen Keel three minutes later.

The Deacons went up 3-0 on Sealys second goal of the night. He accepted the ball from senior Ryan Caugherty then shot it high over the left shoulder of McIntosh at 37:25.

Wake Forest had a 14-2 advantage in shots at the half, while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Brian Edwards didnt have to make a save.

UCFs best chance to score came off the foot of freshman Adham Rashwan (Palm Beach Gardens HS) five four minutes into the second half. Phelan cleared the ball off the line for Wake Forest.

The Deacons continued to keep the pressure on offensively and capitalized on their opportunities. Sealy completed his hat trick in the 56th minute with an assist to Tomy Szczpiorski then Moose increased the advantage to five goals a 59:44.

Wake Forest finished the night with a 28-4 advantage in shots. McIntosh made 10 saves, while Edwards had one.

The Golden Knights made their third consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament this season, advancing to the second round for the first time since the program moved to Division I in 1984.

-- Courtesy Wake Forest