New Mexico 2, Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2

Nov. 22, 2005

New Mexico Advances on PKs, 5-4 ALBUQUERQUE, NM -- Lars Loeseth made the game-winning shot in a penalty kick shootout to send the University of New Mexico past the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and into the third round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship.

The Panthers appeared poised to pull off the upset after scoring two early goals and carrying a 2-1 lead into the final 15 minutes of the match. But a late goal by the Lobos sent the game to overtime knotted at 2-2 before New Mexico won the match in the shootout.

With the win, the second-seeded Lobos (15-1-3) advance to a third-round tournament match with Cal State-Northridge, while the Panthers (14-4-5) see their season come to a close.

UWM scored twice in the first six minutes of the match, with Troy Spielmann striking in the fifth minute and Steve Sperl adding a tally in the sixth. New Mexico got back in the match with a goal from Andrew Boyans in the 20th minute and then forced the extra time when Jeff Rowland scored on a free kick with under 11 minutes remaining.

The Panthers' first goal started with a throw-in from Travis Phillips that sent Dale Weiler down the left side. His crossing pass found Spielmann, who finished from about 10 yards out just 4:04 into the match.

UWM was at it again just 101 seconds later. This time, Weiler sent a free kick from the right side into the box. The serve found Sperl, who headed the ball just inside the near post to put the Panthers up 2-0 less than six minutes in.

New Mexico's first goal came after a flurry of offensive pressure. The finishing touch came after a Rowland shot was knocked back. Boyans was in position at the top of the box to gather the rebound, sending the ball past Grant Fernstrum to get the Lobos back in the match.

From there, the Panthers settled in defensively and, while New Mexico controlled the possession, the Lobos had few golden scoring opportunities. Then, in the 80th minute, a disputed foul call led to a free kick just outside of the penalty area. Lance Watson ran over the ball before Rowland struck it, sending the ball around the wall and off the hands of Fernstrum into the back of the net.

Both teams posted modest scoring opportunities in the overtime session. UWM's had a decent scoring chance in each overtime, with Neil Dombrowski's volley from the top of the box sailing wide in the first extra session and Andre Francois' header rising over the bar in the second extra period.

Then, in the penalty shootout, both teams were perfect until Billy Meier's try was saved by Mike Graczyk. That small opening was all the Lobos needed, as they converted on all five of their penalty tries to advance to the third round of the tournament for the second-straight year.

-- Courtesy UW-MIlwaukee