Nov. 22, 2008

Courtesy of Ohio Wesleyan

Freshman forward Matt Bonfini (Dublin/Coffman) scored to erase a 1-0 deficit, but top-ranked Trinity scored with 4:56 left in regulation time to edge ninth-ranked Ohio Wesleyan in an NCAA Division III sectional semifinal game on Saturday at Swarthmore, Pa.

Trinity advances to the sectional final game on Sunday against the winner of Saturday night's Amherst-Swarthmore contest.

Ohio Wesleyan had the first scoring chance of the game, with junior midfielder Blake Pifer (Fleming/Ada) uncorking a shot from the top of the box that Trinity keeper Patrick Johnson grabbed for the save.

It would be Trinity with the edge in play for most of the first half, though, with the Tigers credited with a 9-3 advantage in shots. One of those Trinity shots came on the tail end of a fine individual play as Cameron Hogsett created a crevice from the left side of the Ohio Wesleyan penalty area and squeezed off a shot that slipped under the crossbar and over Bishop keeper Richard Ott (Norwalk) with 7:50 left in the first half.

The tide turned to open the second half, with Ohio Wesleyan assembling more runs into the Trinity end, and that paid off in the fourth minute of the half.

After a Bishop restart, senior back T.J. Trigg (Westerville/North) sent the ball into the box. A Trinity defender played the ball away from the Tiger goal, but Bonfini jumped on the ball and chipped a shot over Johnson to tie the game at 1-1.

The Bishops had a chance to take the lead after a run into the Trinity end, with the ball skipping across the box to junior midfielder Phil Serfaty (Dublin/Jerome), but Serfaty's shot whistled over the crossbar.

Less than a minute later, sophomore midfielder Ryan Harmanis (Hilliard/Davidson) sent a header toward the Tiger goal, but again, Johnson was there for the save.

Ott responded in kind in the 76th minute, tracking down Hogsett's arching shot from the right wing.

Trinity took the lead when Noe Casanova threaded a pass that slipped just past the foot of a sliding Bishop defender to Patrick Floeck, who finished the shot to put the Tigers up, 2-1, in the 86th minute.

Trinity outshot Ohio Wesleyan, 15-6. Ott finished with 3 saves for the Bishops, while Johnson made 2 saves for the Tigers.