Nov. 25, 2008

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Junior forward Cody Arnoux's goal in the first overtime period lifted top-ranked Wake Forest to a 1-0 win over William & Mary in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Tuesday night at Spry Stadium.

"I don't think it's cliché to say hats off to William & Mary for the performance tonight," head coach Jay Vidovich said. "They made a tremendous match out of what we call the tournament of champions in the NCAA. I'm very proud of our guys. It was a tough game to play against a very good opponent. The chances didn't fall our way this evening. We lost Ike Opara in the back, but Justin Lichtfuss stepped in and had several blocked shots. Akira went out with concussion issues and Doug Ryan stepped up."

Wake Forest advances to the third round of the tournament and will face the winner of the Boston College/Dartmouth match on Sunday at 1 p.m. (ET) at Spry Stadium. Tuesday's match between BC and Dartmouth was postponed and will now be played on Wednesday at 1 p.m. (ET).

After the Deacons and Tribe played a scoreless 90 minutes of regulation soccer, the game went into the first overtime period. In the 95th minute, Marcus Tracy played a pass to Arnoux on the right side of the box. Arnoux's shot from just inside the six-yard box got past the keeper and trickled into the left side of the net to give Wake Forest a 1-0 win and advance the team into the third round. The goal was Arnoux's team-best 15th of the season.

Wake Forest had the better of the play for most of the contest, taking 22 shots in the game to William & Mary's six. The Deacons attempted six corner kicks to one for the Tribe.

Freshman goalkeeper Doug Ryan picked up the victory in net for Wake Forest. Playing in the first game of his collegiate career, Ryan came on for Akira Fitzgerald in the 64th minute after Fitzgerald had vision trouble after a collision with a William & Mary player a few minutes earlier. Ryan made one save in his 31 minutes of action. Tribe goalkeeper Andrew McAdams made four saves, while only allowing one goal to suffer the loss.

"Doug did a tremendous job for us," Vidovich said. "There was one ball put in the box and Doug did a great job of clearing it out. His distribution was dead solid. He made some good decisions there. The guys in front of him played hard for him. They did a great job of smothering any type of opportunities."

Wake Forest improves to 15-9-2 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 4-3-0 in the first round. The Deacs are now 2-3-2 in overtime games.

Both teams had several near misses at goals in regulation time. Wake Forest had two shots that hit off the crossbar and one shot off the post, while William & Mary also had a shot that found the woodwork.

The Demon Deacons narrowly missed a goal in the first 20 minutes of the game. Jamie Franks took a shot from 10 yards out that went just wide of the right post to keep the score even at zero.

Arnoux found the crossbar in the 25th minute. Sam Cronin played a service into the box that was headed by Tracy. The ball found the head of Arnoux right in front of the goal, and his header attempt hit off the crossbar and was cleared away.

William & Mary's Alan Koger found the post in the 57th minute. Koger unleashed a rocket shot from 16 yards out that hit off the left post and went away to keep the game scoreless.

Wake Forest found the woodwork twice in the span of five minutes later in the second half as Danny Wenzel had a header shot that hit off the crossbar and Tracy had a shot that hit off the right post.

Neither team was able to get a quality chance during the rest of regulation as the game went into overtime. Wake Forest took both shots in the overtime period as Tracy had a shot in the 94th minute that just sailed wide. Arnoux found the back of the net just over a minute later to give Wake Forest the 1-0 victory.