Sept. 5, 2009

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Wake Forest sophomore Luke Norman scored in the first half, but Notre Dame equalized on a penalty kick goal in the second half as the third-ranked Demon Deacons and No. 12 Fighting Irish played to a 1-1 tie on Friday at Armstrong Stadium.

Wake Forest moves to 1-0-1 on the season with the draw, while Notre Dame also is now 1-0-1 on the year.

Each team was able to generate numerous scoring chances with the Fighting Irish attempting 16 shots in the game, while Wake Forest had 13 shots. The Deacs had six shots on goal, compared to five for Notre Dame.

Norman put Wake Forest in front, scoring his first goal of the season on a nice service from junior Corben Bone.

After getting several attempts at goal, Notre Dame was able to tie the game in the 77th minute on a successful penalty kick from Michael Thomas.

Neither team would be able to generate a quality scoring chance in either of the two overtime periods. After both teams were held without a shot in the first overtime period, each team took one shot in the second 10-minute period. Austin da Luz had Wake Forest's shot in the 106th minute, an attempt which was blocked. Justin Morrow had a look at the goal in the 109th minute, but his shot went wide right.

Both keepers were kept busy in net. Akira Fitzgerald made four saves for Wake Forest, while Austin Quinn had five saves for Notre Dame.

With the tie, Wake Forest extends its unbeaten streak against non-conference opponents to 43 consecutive games.

Notre Dame was able to apply pressure early, taking a couple of corner kicks in the first five minutes of the game. The Fighting Irish had their first two shot attempts in the seventh minute as Thomas's shot was saved by Fitzgerald and Morrow's attempt hit the post.

Wake Forest quickly struck back, scoring the game's first goal in the 13th minute. Bone served the ball to the front of the net and Norman headed the ball into the goal for his first goal of the season.

The Demon Deacons continued to get the better of the play toward the end of the half. Justin Lichtfuss, Andy Lubahn and Anthony Arena each had shots on goal but the Notre Dame goalkeeper was able to make the stops to keep the Wake Forest lead at 1-0 entering halftime.

Notre Dame was able to get a couple of shots off in the early minutes of the second half. Adam Mena's attempt went wide right, while Matt Armstrong had his shot blocked. Brendan King was able to get a look at goal in the 58th minute, but Fitzgerald was able to make the save.

Norman attempted his second shot on goal in the 58th minute, but Quinn was able to make the stop.

Wake Forest got a couple of looks at goal off a corner kick in the 75th minute. Zack Schilawski's shot was saved by the Fighting Irish keeper, while Ike Opara had a shot go high.

Notre Dame tied the game in the 77th minute. After a Wake Forest foul inside the 18-yard box, Thomas converted the penalty kick to level the game at one.

Notre Dame continued to apply the pressure after the goal. Jeb Brovsky had two attempts, one that was blocked and another that was saved by Fitzgerald.

Wake Forest was able to generate two more shot attempts before the end of regulation as Norman had a header shot that went wide left and Arena had an attempt that went high.

Wake Forest continues play at the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic on Sunday, facing No. 7 Indiana at 2 p.m. The game will be televised live on the Big Ten Network (channel 189 and 571 on Time Warner Cable in Winston-Salem, channel 610 in DIRECTV and channel 439 on Dish Network.)