Sept. 11, 2009

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Jamie Rees scored a goal for the second straight game and Austin Harms made three saves for his second shutout in as many games, as the Harvard men's soccer team defeated No. 14 Boston University by a score of 1-0 Friday afternoon at Ohiri Field. With the win, the Crimson improves to 3-0 on the season, marking the program's best start since 2007.

Harvard put pressure on BU (2-1-1) from the start and outshot the Terriers, 10-3, in the first half. In the 38th minute, the Crimson earned a corner kick opportunity and Adam Rousmaniere's boot found Kwaku Nyamekye. The Harvard defender leapt and headed the ball on goal, but Terrier goalkeeper Hrafn Davidsson was there to hit the ball out of play. On the ensuing corner, Brian Rogers got a shot off with his right foot, but Davidsson kicked it to the side. Rees grabbed possession of the rebound and kicked the ball into the net, putting Harvard ahead at 43:53. Rogers was credited with an assist on the play, his second in two games, and extended his point scoring streak to three games.

With three seconds left in the opening half, Andre Akpan, who was named Ivy League Co-Player of the Week Tuesday, put another shot on net, but Davidsson grabbed it as time expired. Akpan finished the contest with a game-high seven shots. Harvard led 4-2 in corner kicks through the first 45 minutes.

Samuel Appiah gave the Terriers a quick opportunity in the second half, but his shot at 45:12 sailed high of the Harvard cage. Less than five minutes later, Ben Berube fired a quick shot at the goal, but Harms stood tall for his first save of the contest. In the 62nd minute, the Crimson defense blocked two BU shots, and another, off the foot of Ade Akinsaya, was saved by Harms.

After Harvard regained possession, the Crimson had three offensive opportunities miss the target, including two by Akpan that flew wide. At 73:43, Rousmaniere almost gave Harvard a two-goal cushion, but his off-balanced shot from inside the box went wide to the left. With 10 minutes to play, Harms recorded his third save, stopping a chance by Tom Strackhouse, a liner from 35 yards out. Harms jumped a foot off the ground before catching the ball and clearing away.

In the 83rd minute, the Terriers pushed forward looking for the equalizer, starting with a kick by Aaron O'Neal that went wide. Moments later, Ryan Shea hit the post with a shot from inside the box, but Harms and the Crimson escaped danger and held on for the 1-0 victory.

The Terriers owned a 16-6 advantage in shots in the second half, giving BU a 19-16 edge for the game. The teams each earned six corner kicks and Davidsson finished with three saves.

Harvard will host another non-conference game at Ohiri Field Sunday, as the team faces Army at 1 p.m.