Oct. 1, 2009

Courtesy of Boston University

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -  In its final non-conference game of the regular season, the NSCAA's 16th-ranked Boston University men's soccer team battled No. 23 Brown to a 3-3 draw on Wednesday night at Stephenson Field. With the tie, the Terriers (6-2-2) extend their unbeaten streak to four games, while the Bears remain undefeated at 4-0-4.

Last year, both teams combined for 20 shots in a game at Nickerson Field that ended scoreless for the first time ever in a rivalry that dates back to 1969. This season, fans were in for a treat, as they played with a frenetic pace that led to the most goals scored in a game between the two teams since 1984 with both missing out on several other opportunities.

Senior Samuel Appiah led the Terriers with a goal and assist, while Sean Rosa recorded a goal and two assists for the Bears. The Terriers edged Brown in shots, 17-16, and tied in attempts on goal, 3-3, while the Bears had eight corner kicks in the first half to finish ahead, 11-6. Senior Hrafn Davidsson and Brown's Paul Grandstrand finished with three saves each.

Appiah put BU on the board first with his second score of the season at 1:59 when he attempted a pass inside the box that deflected off Brown's Jon Okafor into the goal to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead. Sophomore defender Colin Henry then recorded his first career goal at 19:08, when he headed in a pass from Tom Strackhouse that was set up on a corner kick from Michael Bustamante.

The Bears did not want to see their unbeaten streak come to an end and staged a rally that began just two minutes later at 21:19. Taylor Gorman first headed in a blocked shot by Sean Rosa, who at 29:22 set up along with Okafor the game-tying score. David Walls attempted a shot from 20 yards out, as Davidsson got in position to make the save. However, he misplayed the ball, and it went through his legs for a 2-2 tie.

In the second half at 54:38, sophomore Stephen Knox sent in a shot from 10 yards out to the lower, left corner of the goal to give BU the lead off a pass from Appiah. However, the lead didn't last long, as Rosa rifled a high ball to the right corner from 25 yards out to tie the game at three goals apiece.

Both teams could not convert the rest of the game, sending it to a draw for the second consecutive year.

Reigning America East player of the week Aaron O'Neal had opportunities in each overtime session to win the game but sent it wide at 94:29 and had one blocked at 105:17. The Terriers outshot the Bears, 7-4, in overtime but could not find the opening.

Up next for the defending America East champion Terriers is a return to Nickerson Field on Saturday, Oct. 3, for a league match-up with Stony Brook. The contest is set to start at 7 p.m.