Oct. 9, 2009

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Junior midfielder Michael Farfan assisted on No. 2 North Carolina's first goal and scored its second to lead the Tar Heels in a 2-2 tie with No. 6 Wake Forest Friday in a back-and-forth contest at Spry Stadium. With the draw, the Tar Heels are now 8-1-2 and 3-1-1 in the ACC, while the Demon Deacons are 7-2-2 and 2-1-1 in league action.

Carolina, which joins Maryland atop the ACC standings with 10 points, got goals from sophomore forward Alex Dixon in the third minute and Farfan in the 57th, but Wake Forest answered on each occasion, as Sam Redmond and Andy Lubahn scored for the Demon Deacons.

UNC goalkeeper Brooks Haggerty made three saves before being relieved due to injury in the 86th minute by freshman Scott Goodwin, who saw his first career action and went the final 25 minutes.

With Carolina already down four projected starters from the start of the season for Friday's match, midfielder Cameron Brown and Haggerty left the game with injuries, but the Tar Heels were able to grind out a result. Carolina finished with a 17-15 edge in shots, including a 13-8 advantage after the first half.

Wake Forest goalkeeper Akira Fitzgerald went the distance in goal and finished with seven saves.

Dixon netted the Tar Heels' quickest goal of the season at the two-minute mark when he chipped from the top of the box to beat Fitzgerald, who had charged from the net on the play. Farfan found Dixon to set up the goal with his third assist of the season, and senior defender Jordan Graye was credited with his second assist.

Dixon's goal was his second of the season, the seventh of his career and first since the season-opening win over UNC Asheville.

The lead was short-lived, however, as the Deacons answered just four minutes later when Redmond headed home an Austin da Luz corner kick with Wake's first equalizer.

Haggerty turned away a second Wake Forest goal twice in the 27th minute, as he made a kick save on a Corben Bone shot and recovered to halt a Luke Norman strike seconds later to preserve the tie. The Tar Heels' defense also thwarted three successive Demon Deacon corner kicks in the 37th minute to keep Wake off the board.

After starting the Tar Heels' scoring play early in the match, Graye nearly found the back of the net himself in the final minute of the first period when he dribbled forward from the back line and fired from 35 yards. The shot was on frame, but Fitzgerald leapt to poke the ball just over the crossbar to force a UNC corner.

Farfan, who now leads Carolina with five goals and 13 points, made a run from midfield through the Wake Forest defense and was brought down in the box to set up the go-ahead penalty chance in the 57th minute. Following a lengthy injury timeout, Farfan calmly sent the ensuing PK to the right as Fitzgerald guessed left to give Carolina a 2-1 lead at the 56:30 mark.

After Farfan nearly doubled the UNC lead in the 73rd minute when a diving Fitzgerald tipped away the shot attempt, the Deacs knotted the score in the 82nd minute on Lubahn's game-tying strike. Zack Schilawski back-heeled a pass from Redmond to Lubahn at the six for the equalizer.

Outside of a 19-yard free kick pushed high by Bone in the 95th minute, neither side mustered a quality chance in overtime.

The Tar Heels are back in action at Fetzer Field for a pair of games next week. Carolina hosts Campbell at 7 p.m. Tuesday before welcoming Boston College Saturday, Oct. 17 at 7 p.m.