Oct. 17, 2009

Courtesy of UNC Athletics

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Freshman forward Charlie Rugg scored in the 14th and 25th minutes, and Boston College withstood a second-half offensive rally from No. 2 North Carolina in a 2-1 victory Saturday at Fetzer Field. Junior midfielder Cameron Brown found the back of the net for the Tar Heels (9-2-2, 3-2-1 ACC) in the 52nd minute, but Carolina was unable to find the equalizer over the final 38 minutes.

After Rugg, who netted his fifth and sixth goals of the season, staked the Eagles (8-6-0, 3-2-0 ACC) to an early two-goal lead, freshman goalkeeper Justin Luthy made it stand up with nine saves on the night.

The Tar Heels finished with a 16-7 edge in shots, including a 7-2 advantage after intermission. Senior goalkeeper Brooks Haggerty made two saves for Carolina, which allowed two goals for just the second time this season.

Boston College made the most of its early chances, as Rugg converted on two of the Eagles' first three shots. He gave BC a 1-0 lead at the 13:31 mark with an unassisted strike from eight yards. Off a long service, Rugg was able to wrestle the ball away from a UNC defender and deposited his shot into the left side of the net for the game's first goal.

Just over 10 minutes later, Rugg struck again off a feed from Kyle Bekker to double the Eagles' advantage. Bekker played a through ball and after a Tar Heel defender slipped on the play Rugg fired from 10 yards into the lower left corner.

Despite outshooting BC by a 9-5 margin the first half and putting six shots on goal, Carolina was unable to find the back of the net. Enzo Martinez received a nice cross from Billy Schuler, but Luthy smothered his shot attempt in the 31st minute, and Kirk Urso found himself one-on-one with the BC keeper seven minutes later but missed just wide.

After intermission, the Tar Heels pulled within one on Brown's fifth goal of the season at the 51:57 mark. After his initial shot attempt was blocked by a BC defender, Brown regained possession and chipped the ball over an outstretched Luthy from 12 yards to trim the lead to 2-1.

UNC continued to press for the equalizer, misfiring on several close chances. Just two minutes after Brown's goal, Michael Farfan had a shot on frame tipped just over the crossbar by Luthy. After Luthy denied a volley by Brown in the 75th minute, he dove to save a header from Urso in the 76th.

Carolina nearly pulled level in the 89th minute when Billy Schuler had an open look deflected just wide of the back post, and the Eagles were able to clear the ensuing corner kick to wrap up the victory.

The Tar Heels are back in action at Virginia Tech Saturday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m.