Oct. 25, 2009

Courtesy of Monmouth

LORETTO, Pa. - The seventh-ranked Monmouth University men's soccer team dropped its first match of the 2009 season, 2-0 at Saint Francis (Pa.) on Sunday afternoon at DeGol Field. The Hawks fall to 13-1-1 overall and 5-1- 1 in the NEC, while the Red Flash improve to 6-10-1 and 2-5-1 in the league.

This afternoon's match, which was originally scheduled for 1:00 pm, was moved back to 4:00 pm in Loretto due to poor field conditions. The Red Flash's home soccer field, which is grass, sustained severe rain intake due to storms in the area. The match was moved to DeGol Field, SFPA's turf football field.

Saint Francis (Pa.) scored the match's first goal, and the first tally that the Hawks have allowed in the last 789:41 of game action, in the 11th minute of the game. Daniel Moir scored the goal, his fourth of the season, shooting from the top of the box into the right slot. On the play, Wayne Tiller was credited with an assist for the Red Flash.

Just over a minute after the host's took the early lead, MU keeper Bryan Meredith (Scotch Plains, N.J./Scotch Plains-Fanwood) was sent off with a straight red card in the 12th minute. Freshman Alex Blackburn (Natick, Mass. /Natick) took over in net for the duration of the match for Monmouth, and the Hawks were forced to play almost the final 80 minutes of the game a man down.

The match remained a one-goal affair until the 83rd minute, when Kingsley McLeod headed home his second marker of the season for the Red Flash. Moir and Patrick Fleming were each credited with an assist on the play, which was the result of a counterattack with MU pressuring up for the equalizer.

The Hawks outshot Saint Francis (Pa.) 10-9 in the game, and held a 10-4 advantage in corner kicks. Junior Ryan Kinne (Naugatuck, Conn./Naugatuck) led the Monmouth offense with two shots. Blackburn made three saves in net for the Blue and White, while his counterpart Darius Motazed made four saves for SFPA.

The loss snaps MU's five-match winning streak, as well as its 14-match unbeaten streak to begin the season, which was a school record. It also snaps the Hawks eight-match shutout streak.

Monmouth returns to action on Friday when they it hosts Central Connecticut State at 3:00 pm on The Great Lawn.