Nov. 6, 2009

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - A late first half goal followed by an early second half score propelled the Indiana men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over No. 25 Penn State in its regular season file on Jerry Yeagley Field at Armstrong Stadium.

With the win, Indiana finishes the regular season at 9-8-1 and 3-3 in Big Ten play.

"Winning cures a lot of problems," said head coach Mike Freitag. "The negative vibes come out of your body. I am proud of this team. We knew our backs were against the wall and we had to come out and fight. I thought we fought to the end, and that is what I have told this team we have to do.

"We have to learn from this game and remember how it feels. When you walk off the field, you should be that tired, you should be that mentally drained."

Penn State (10-6-2, 3-2-1) took the early lead with a goal from Matheus Braga in the 21st minute. Corey Hertzog had the ball about 10 yards out left of center when Braga made a run from behind and took the feed, burying his shot in the lower right corner.

The Hoosiers answered back with the game tying score at 38:59 off the foot of Lee Hagedorn, his third goal of the season. The play was set up off a shot from Will Bruin that came off a long pass from Darren Yeagle. Bruin's shot was punched over the goal line, setting up a corner kick. Andy Adlard played the ball into the box, where Bruin touched the ball to a waiting Hagedorn who slammed it home in the lower left. It was Indiana's 20th goal of the season, and just the third scored in the first half.

The teams went into the halftime break tied at 1-all, with IU holding a 9-4 shot advantage. At the halftime break, longtime Indiana head coach Jerry Yeagley was honored as he is being inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame tonight.

It wouldn't take long for the Hoosiers to go on top as Daniel Kelly's game-winning goal came just 40 seconds into the second half. Eric Alexander and Hagedorn combined to play the ball up to Kelly, and the junior caught PSU goalkeeper Warren Gross off his line. Kelly shot the ball over Gross' head and into the net for his first goal of the season. Kelly earned the starting nod up top with Bruin for this match after playing most of the season on the defensive line.

Indiana was forced to play the final 24:19 of the match a man down after sophomore defender Tommy Meyer was shown his second yellow card of the match, resulting in a red card and an automatic suspension for the Hoosiers' Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal match.

"I think after that red to Tommy, the guys knew we had to step up," said senior Ofori Sarkodie. "We couldn't get out of our composure and we had to make the right clearances and decisions, and that if we were going to give these guys chances that they weren't good chances.

"This is a huge win for us. For the confidence, obviously, and getting our record above .500. We are coming together when it matters right now."

In the 69th minute Bruin missed a golden opportunity to put a third goal on the scoreboard for IU when he out-ran his defender and got past Gross put clanged his shot off the left post. With under 10 minutes left in regulation, Bruin again broke free and took on Gross 1 v 1, but the goalkeeper came up with the save.

It looked as if the Nittany Lions had tied the match up at 80:13 when Mark Fetrow got the ball past IU goalkeeper, Luis Soffner, but Penn State was called for a handball on the play, negating the shot.

Senior Nemanja Kostic started the match between the pipes for IU and played the first half before an injury forced him to the bench. Soffner played the final 45 minutes, holding PSU scoreless while making one save.

Bruin led the Hoosiers with five shot attempts, while Adlard added three. IU tallied 16 shots to the Nittany Lions' 11, and took five corner kicks to PSU's six.

Indiana will be back in action Thursday as the Big Ten Tournament gets underway in Bloomington, Ind. Indiana's opponent and match time will be announced at a later date.