Nov. 12, 2009

Courtesy of Stevens Sports Information Office

HOBOKEN, N.J. (November 12, 2009) - Senior captain Todd Sheridan scored the game-winner in the 70th minute to break a scoreless tie as the Stevens Institute of Technology men's soccer team defeated York College (N.Y.), 2-0, in the first round of the NCAA Division III Men's Soccer Championship on Thursday night at the De Baun Athletic Complex. Senior back Chris Faustino set up the goal with a beautiful cross from deep in the left corner, and junior Michael Quijano tallied an insurance marker at the 80:44 mark. With the win, Stevens (16-3-1) advances to the second round of the tournament and will play at Montclair State University on Sunday at 1 p.m.

The Ducks got the first good look at a goal 4:45 into the game when Faustino made a run down the right sideline and crossed to freshman Victor Daza. Daza leaped for a header but his bid missed wide left.

Stevens continued to control the action and kept the pressure on the Cardinals over the next 20-plus minutes, but could not connect on that last pass to get in position for a score. York was able to gain possession in the Stevens zone on a few occasions but could not muster a serious threat.

The Ducks got a great chance with 2:20 left in the first when senior Terrence Johnson split the middle of the box with a couple of moves and then slid a pass to his left to senior John Radvany, but his attempt went wide right and the two teams went into the break with the scored tied at zero. Stevens ended the half with a 7-0 advantage in shots and a 3-0 edge in corners.

Stevens came out well in the second half and generated a great chance with 41:05 remaining as once again Johnson made a pass to his left in the box. This time, it was freshman Zach Adler who received the pass, but the rookie's shot sailed a bit high. A little more than a minute later, Johnson chased down a pass in the box but his shot at the near post went wide and the score remained tied.

With 22 minutes remaining, junior goalkeeper Zach Carr punted the ball the length of the field after grabbing a York service. Daza and Cardinal goalkeeper Samer Abdel-Fattah (Queens, N.Y.) got to the ball at the same and Daza was able to control, cut across traffic and pass to junior Nolan Sandberg. Sandberg got a solid shot off but once again, the shot missed just wide.

Moments later, the Ducks' frustration would end as they got on the board thanks to a tally by senior Todd Sheridan. Faustino brought the ball deep into the left corner and ripped a perfect cross to Sheridan who put it into the right corner with a slide. The tally was his fourth of the season.

The Ducks went up 2-0 at the 80:44 mark when Johnson carried all the way to the right end line about 10 yards away from the right post. He stopped on a dime and passed to the top of the box to a wide-open Quijano, and the junior made the most of his chance with a perfect shot into the right corner. It was Johnson's fifth assist and Quijano's third goal of the season.

The Ducks controlled the entire 90 minutes but played a very strong second half en route to the win. Stevens ended with a 10-1 edge in corners but outshot the Cardinals 25-2 on the night. Carr pitched his 14th shutout of the season in goal for Stevens and has allowed three goals in his last 13 games. Abdel-Fattah made six stops for York (12-8).

Stevens-Montclair is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start on Sunday. Continue to check for more information on the matchup.