Nov. 29, 2009

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Wake Forest scored three first half goals, including a pair from senior Zack Schilawski, and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament with a 4-2 win against No. 20 Duke on a beautiful Sunday evening at Spry Stadium.

"I think it was a tremendous treat for the soccer fans in Winston-Salem tonight," head coach Jay Vidovich said. "They saw six goals. It was a tremendous start to the match for us. We scored three first half goals and I thought it really could have blown open when Corben (Bone) hit the post early in the second half. I credit Duke for making it a heck of a game and battling to the end."

With the win, Wake Forest improves to 16-3-3, while Duke ends its season with a 14-7-0 record.

The Demon Deacons will host the winner of the UCLA-UC Santa Barbara match in the quarterfinals on Saturday at 7 p.m. (ET).

Wake Forest advances to the quarterfinals for the fourth straight year. The Demon Deacons are now 19-10-2 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including a 4-2-1 mark in the third round.

Schilawski continued his outstanding play in his senior season, scoring five points in the game with two goals and an assist. It was his third multi-goal game of the season and increased his 2009 goal total to a team-high 13. He also now has a team-leading 33 points on the season. For his career, Schilawski has netted 39 career goals, which ranks third in school history.

Senior midfielder Austin da Luz also enjoyed a stellar game, scoring a goal and two assists. Da Luz has six goals and a team-leading 14 helpers on the year. With his two assists, da Luz also regained sole possession of the Wake Forest career assists record with 38 assists.

Sophomore Sam Redmond also made the score sheet with his second goal of the season and his first in an NCAA Tournament match.

Corben Bone, Akira Fitzgerald and Ike Opara each added assists in the win. Bone recorded his 12th assist of the season and 37th of his career. Fitzgerald notched his first assist, while Opara tallied his second helper.

Ryan Finley and Cole Grossman scored goals for Duke. The goal for Finley was his team-high 11th of the season, while Grossman found the back of the net for the eighth time on the season.

Fitzgerald improved his record to 16-3-3 on the season. He allowed two goals and made three saves, including a couple of outstanding saves early when the game was scoreless.

James Belshaw suffered the loss, surrendering four goals and making three saves.

The Blue Devils held a 15-12 advantage in shots, but Wake held a 7-5 edge in shots on frame. Duke attempted six corner kicks in the game, while Wake had four corners.

Duke had control of the game in the opening 10 minutes, attempting three shots. The best attempt came in the seventh minute when Finley had a shot from 16 yards that Fitzgerald was able to make a diving save on to keep the game scoreless. The rebound off the shot came to Temi Molinar, but he chipped a shot from eight yards out high of the goal.

Wake Forest had its first quality chance of the match in the 25th minute. Da Luz sent a free kick in from the right side. Andy Lubahn was able to redirect the cross from close range on goal, but Belshaw was there to make the save.

The Demon Deacons broke the deadlock with a goal in the 30th minute. Da Luz laid a pass off to Schilawski, just outside the 18-yard box. Schilawski sent a perfectly placed shot into the upper right 90 to put Wake in front 1-0. Opara was also credited with a secondary assist on the play.

Wake Forest continued to apply the pressure and got a second goal four minutes later. Bone played a pass to Schilawski, who fired a shot from 14 yards out on the right side of the box that found the left side of the net.

The Deacs added a third goal in the final minute of the first half. A corner kick from da Luz found Redmond, who headed the ball into the goal from the right side of the six-yard box to make the score 3-0 entering intermission.

Wake Forest had a great opportunity for its fourth goal in the 53rd minute but was thwarted by the wood work. Schilawski played a pass to Bone on the right side of the penalty area. Bone tried to place a shot just inside the left post, but the ball clanged off the post and was cleared away by Duke.

Duke was able to get its first goal of the match in the 56th minute. A handball was called on Wake Forest inside the penalty area, setting up a free kick opportunity for Grossman. He placed the ball into the right side of the net to make the score 3-1.

Wake Forest had a penalty shot of its own in the 61st minute after Lubahn was fouled inside the 18. Da Luz took the penalty shot and attempted a shot targeted for inside the left post, but the Duke goalkeeper was able to make a diving save.

The Deacs got their fourth goal in the 66th minute. Fitzgerald punted a ball downfield over the Wake Forest defense and found Schilawski, who played a pass to da Luz on the left side. Da Luz's shot from the left side of the six-yard box beat Belshaw to put Wake in front 4-1.

Duke closed the scoring in the 68th minute. Fitzgerald tried to punch the ball out, but the ball came right to Finley. Finley's shot from 12 yards out into an open net cut the lead to 4-2.

The Blue Devils were able to generate a corner kick and a couple of shots in the final 20 minutes of the match, but never seriously threatened the Wake Forest goal.