Oct. 24, 2010

Courtesy of Cal State LA Athletics

Cal State L.A.'s men's soccer team made sure it will be a factor in the California Collegiate Athletic Association championship race.

The Golden Eagles got a goal with 1:57 left in the second overtime to beat Cal State Dominguez Hills, 3-2, Saturday at Toro Stadium. Cal State L.A. (9-5-1, 8-5-1 CCAA) beat the Toros for the second time this week and tightened things up significantly in the CCAA South Division.

The Golden Eagles entered the week in fourth place in the division and trailing first-place Cal State Dominguez Hills (10-4-2, 8-4-2) by seven points. Cal State L.A., though, has pulled into third place with 25 points and trail Cal State San Bernardino by just three points and Cal State Dominguez Hills by just one point. Cal State L.A. is now in fourth overall in the conference, although every team by the Golden Eagles and Toros have three matches remaining.

The Golden Eagles, much like Wednesday's 3-1 win over the Toros, led for much of the game. This time, though, the Toros were able to tie it and send the game into extra time.

Tyler Coombes settled matters, drilling a shot from about 25 yards out high and to the left of Cal State Dominguez Hills goalkeeper Markus Dickerson for the game-winner.

Cal State Dominguez Hills had a 16-12 advantage in shots, although neither team could consistently put shots on net. The Golden Eagles had a 5-4 edge in corner kicks, four of those coming in the first 10 minutes of play.

Thaddeus Caraway made three saves for the Golden Eagles, while Dickerson made one for the Toros.

Cal State L.A. was the aggressor at the start and peppered the Toros in the first part of the game. The Golden Eagles had a 7-2 edge in shots leading up to a David Hauser goal in the 22nd minute. Hauser was able to hit a hard shot from a sharp angle past Dickerson for his second goal of the season.

Cal State Dominguez Hills countered in the 39th minute when Austin Nate took a pass from Diego Turaldo and notched his first goal of the season.

The Golden Eagles, though, wasted little time regaining the lead. Tim van den Bergh accepted a cross from Hauser and sent a shot past Dickerson for his first goal of the season just 50 seconds later.

The Toros began pressuring the Golden Eagles throughout the seconde half and finally got the equalizer in the 76th minute when Diego Turaldo headed in a corner kick from Andre Turoldo.

The Toros had a 7-3 edge in shots in the second halftime.

The Toros had two more shots in the overtimes, while the Golden Eagles ended the game with their only try.

Cal State L.A. has two conference games remaining, beginning with a home match against Cal State San Bernardino next Friday.