Nov. 5, 2010

Courtesy of Connecticut Athletics

STORRS, Conn. - Josh Ford broke UConn's all-time record of career wins on Friday night, earning his 54th, as UConn downed DePaul 2-0 in the first round of the BIG EAST Men's Soccer Championship at Morrone Stadium.

UConn (12-2-4) will now advance to face Cincinnati on Monday, Nov. 8 in a BIG EAST quarterfinal round match-up. The postseason contest is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m. at Gettler Stadium.

Ford registered two saves in his 83rd consecutive start, while he also earned his 50th career shutout, improving on his record-breaking season. The senior goalkeeper currently has 10 shutouts and 12 wins on the year. With the win, UConn head coach Ray Reid earned his 200th victory at Connecticut and the 346th of his coaching career.

The game-winning goal of tonight's contest was scored in the 53rd minute as Shawn Nicklaw sent the ball into the box where a DePaul (4-10-5) defender misplayed it while trying to send it out of the goal box. His decision was costly in the end as he redirected the ball into the back of the net past his own goalkeeper, resulting in an own goal.

Tony Cascio scored his team-leading 10th goal of the year in the 66th minute of play as he took a pass from the far side of the field and chipped it over the leaping John Michael Kulnig in net for the Blue Demons. For Cascio, it was his 19th career goal, as he now leads the Huskies with 26 points in 2010. Max Wasserman and Carlos Alvarez were credited the assists, while Alvarez also earned an assist on the own goal.

With two helpers in tonight's match, Alvarez improved his conference-leading tally to 14 on the year.

UConn dominated in tonight's contest, outshooting the Blue Demons 16-8, including a 10-3 clip in the first half. The Huskies' controlled both the momentum of the game and the possession of the ball for a majority of the first half before going into the intermission in a scoreless tie.

The Huskies put together multiple good looks at the net in the first half as Mamadou Doudou Diouf led the way for the Huskies connecting on five shots, including two on goal.

After the scoreless first 45 minute of play, UConn continued to stay aggressive, putting four shots on net in the second half. With less than seven minutes left in the game, Diouf took a pass from Stephane Diop and beat one defender in the middle of the 18-yard box then drilled a shot towards the net, which was stopped by a sliding Kulnig for his fifth save of the night.

From about 12 yards out in the 87th minute, Antonio Aguilar connected on a shot from inside the box, which was grabbed by Ford to halt DePaul's scoring chances. It was DePaul's best look of the night on net but came up empty.

With 13 seconds left in the game, DePaul's Kevin Briars got his foot on a loose ball in the box but his shot was saved by UConn defenders in the net to salvage the Huskies' 12th shutout of the season. UConn's 12 wins this year marks the most wins in a single-season since UConn's 20-win effort in 2007.