Nov. 6, 2010

Courtesy of Louisville Athletics

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - With two second half goals the top ranked Louisville men's soccer team defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers 2-0 on Saturday evening in Cardinal Park to move on to the semifinals of the BIG EAST Tournament. The Cardinals remain unbeaten and improve to 15-0-2 on the year, while the Mountaineers fall to 10-7-2.

The game started out very much back and forth with neither gaining control of possession. West Virginia had the first opportunity of the night in the 17th minute when a shot by Matt Drake from the left side of the box was saved by Andre Boudreaux.

The Cardinals answered back in the 22nd minute as Kenney Walker took a free kick from 25 yards out which West Virginia keeper Zach Johnson had to make a diving save to keep it from going in. On the rebound off the save, Nick DeLeon had his shot saved by Johnson as well.

Louisville got within striking range when Walker took a free kick from just outside the left side of the box, but his attempt was knocked out by one of the Mountaineer defenders. The first half finished in a scoreless tie.

The Cardinals finished the first half with a 7-4 shot advantage, along with a 2-1 corner kick advantage. Boudreaux finished the half with save, while Johnson finished with two saves.

Louisville came out with a flurry of offensive attacks as Paolo DelPiccolo took a free kick from 25 yards out that Johnson had to punch out to save leading to a corner kick. On the ensuing corner, Johnson had to make another save to keep the Cardinals off the scoreboard.

Later in the half, Charlie Campbell had a shot that went into the goal called off because the senior was called offsides. The Mountaineers answered back with an attempt from Drake, which Boudreaux had to make a leaping save on to preserve the shutout. The Cardinals finally got on the board when Walker played a ball to the right side of the box where Austin Berry headed the pass to Campbell, who slipped the ball past the keeper for his third goal of the season.

The Cardinals had another chance to score in the 71st minute when DelPiccolo played a free kick into DeLeon whose header went just wide right of the goal. Louisville succeeded in putting another score on the board when Brock Granger passed to Buck Tufty on the right side of the box, Tufty then crossed the ball into the middle of the box and a sliding Aaron Horton knocked in the goal for the first of his career.

Louisville finished the game with a 15-8 shot advantage, along with a 5-3 corner kick advantage. Boudreaux finished with three saves, while Johnson finished with four. With his seventh assist on the year, Walker moves into a tie for fourth on the all-time season assists list. Boudreaux also moves into a tie for fourth on the all-time season shutout list with his seventh of the year.

The Cardinals will be back in action on Friday, Nov. 12 against Notre Dame in the BIG EAST tournament semifinals at the Red Bull Arena, a 25,189-seat facility in the Newark, N.J., suburb of Harrison.