Nov. 10, 2010

Courtesy of Wake Forest Athletics

CARY, N.C. -
Virginia's Hunter Jumper scored his first goal of the season in the 48th minute to lift the 20th-ranked Cavaliers to a 1-0 win over Wake Forest in the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament quarterfinals on Wednesday afternoon at Koka Booth Stadium.

With the loss, Wake Forest closes the season with an 8-9-2 record, while Virginia improves to 11-4-3 and advances to play Maryland in the semifinals on Friday at 5:30 p.m.

In a game where offensive chances were limited, Virginia tallied the only goal of the match early in the second half as Jumper scored on a shot from 30 yards out to lift the Cavaliers to the win.

Luca Gimenez led the Demon Deacon offense with two shots, including one shot on goal. Anthony Arena, Luciano Delbono, Chris Duvall and Jesse Sokolow also added one shot apiece.

Along with Jumper's goal, Ari Dimas also found the scoresheet, assisting on Jumper's goal. The assist for Dimas was his fourth of the season, tying him for the team lead. Jumper and Brian Span led UVa with two shots each.

Playing in his final collegiate game, Akira Fitzgerald allowed one goal and was not required to make a save. Fitzgerald closed his collegiate career by playing in 67 consecutive games in goal. He also leaves Wake Forest ranked third in school history in goals against average (0.83), fourth in save percentage (.803), fourth in saves (237) and second in minutes played (6296).

Diego Restrepo earned the win in goal for the Cavaliers, making one save and recording his eighth shutout of the season.

Wednesday's game also marked the final collegiate game for Wake Forest seniors Russ Coleman and Josh Henke.

Neither team was able to find an offensive rhythm in the first half as the two teams managed just one shot apiece. Virginia had its first shot of the match in the 10th minute on Jumper's effort that sailed high. Wake Forest attempted its first shot in the 14th minute on Anthony Arena's shot that was blocked.

Virginia took the lead early in the first half on Jumper's goal. The Cavaliers earned a free kick on the right wing after a Wake Forest foul. Dimas played a pass back to Jumper, who dribbled to 30 yards away from goal and blistered a shot into the left side of the net to put UVa in front 1-0.

Wake Forest tested Restrepo for the only time in the match in the 53rd minute. Delbono stole a pass in the midfield and played a pass left to Gimenez, who placed a shot on goal but Restrepo was able to make the save.

The Demon Deacons had one final chance in the 88th minute. Duvall had an open look at goal from the left side outside the penalty area, but his attempt went wide left of the goal.

For all of the latest information on Wake Forest men's soccer, please log on to or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account @wakemenssoccer or