Nov. 12, 2010

Courtesy of Quincy Athletics

Highland Heights, Ky. - The Quincy University men's soccer team had a familiar foe come back to haunt them on Friday night as they fell 2-1 in overtime to Northern Kentucky University.

Quincy, playing in their eighth overtime game of the season and third in a row, were unable to hold onto an early 1-0 lead as the #4 ranked and host Northern Kentucky battled back to tie the game with just five-minutes remaining in regulation.

Quincy, the #4 seed in the Midwest Region, withstood on early onslaught of shots by the #1 seeded Norse. Northern Kentucky got off six shots in the game's first 22-minutes but the Quincy backline was able to keep the attempts at long range allowing Quincy keeper D.J. Lampert to see the ball with ease.

Quincy broke the scoreless game at the 26-minute mark when Grant Ellison found the back of the net for his 15th goal of the season. Ryan Seifert took the ball from a Norse player, playing it off to Jack Wedemeier who fed a streaking Ellison for the goal.

Quincy withstood another attack by the Norse when they got off four shots in a 20-second span with Lampert coming up with a save to keep the Hawks lead intact. The Norse out shot Quincy 14-2 in the first-half although just five of the Norse shots were on goal.

Quincy did not sit back in the second-half and out shot the Norse 10-5 in the half. The turning point of the half came late when Hawk defender Michael Andres was issued a red card for a late tackle, forcing Quincy to play with just 10 players. The Hawks did not let that slow down their attack as they nearly drew a penalty kick, however the ball was spotted just outside the box.

Northern Kentucky turned to GLVC Offensive Player of the Year, Steven Beattie, and Freshman of the Year, Michael Holder, to mount their late comeback. The Norse were finally able to even the score in the 85-minute when Beattie buried a shot from 12-yards out. Quincy had one last chance to keep the game from going into overtime when Jack Wedemeier let go of a shot that went high.

After 90-minutes the game would go into overtime, something that has served as the Hawks nemesis all season long. The Norse got off all six shots of the overtime period and got the game winner in the 97th minute when Holder scored on a through ball off a pass from Beattie. For the Hawks it was their fourth loss this season in overtime and second in a row. Quincy also lost in overtime in Highland Heights, Kentucky one week ago when they fell to Indianapolis 1-0 in the semi-finals of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Tournament.

Quincy concludes their season at 11-7-2 overall while Northern Kentucky improves to 16-2-3 overall and will face Missouri S&T in the finals of the Midwest Region in the 2010 NCAA Division II National Tournament.