Nov. 14, 2010

Courtesy of Ohio Wesleyan Athletics

Senior midfielder Tyler Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) and junior forward Travis Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) scored goals to give second-ranked Ohio Wesleyan a win over Kenyon in a second-round game of the NCAA Division III tournament on Sunday in York, Pa.

Ohio Wesleyan advances to the third round to face Johns Hopkins, which defeated Christopher Newport, 2-1, in double overtime on Saturday. The Ohio Wesleyan-Johns Hopkins game will be either Friday or Saturday, with the site and game time to be determined on Monday.

The Lords tested Ohio Wesleyan keeper Paul Hendricks (Columbus/Worthington Kilbourne) early, with Keith Dangarembwa sending a low shot on goal in the sixth minute and Felix Hoffmann putting a shot on net in the 14th minute, but Hendricks was there for the save both times.

The Bishops turned the tide later in the half as freshman midfielder Matt Shadoan (Dublin/Scioto) had his shot go wide of the left post in the 31st minute. Shortly thereafter, Tyler Wall's shot was tipped over the crossbar by a Kenyon defender.

The unlikely combination of Hendricks and Wall would combine to put the Bishops ahead to stay. Hendricks played the ball high and long into the Kenyon end, and when Kenyon keeper Tyler Schatz misplayed a clear attempt, Wall was there to put the ball into the open net with 7:15 left in the first half.

The Ohio Wesleyan defense did an outstanding job of protecting the lead through the majority of the second half. Kenyon's J.J. Jemison put a header just wide of the goal in the 58th minute, and Hoffmann's header was wide in the 66th minute.

Hendricks broke up a Kenyon corner kick in the 74th minute, and a Bishop defender got a foot on a shot by Alistair Flynn which seemed headed for an open net in the 78th minute.

Travis Wall provided some breathing room for Ohio Wesleyan with a goal in the closing minutes. Junior midfielder Dylan Stone (Easton, Conn./Barlow) sent a free kick into the penalty area, and Wall headed the ball home with 5:39 remaining in regulation time.

Ohio Wesleyan and Kenyon had 9 shots apiece. Hendricks finished with 3 saves in the Bishop goal. Schatz made 2 saves for Kenyon.