Nov. 21, 2010

Courtesy of Notre Dame

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Dartmouth senior Andrew Olsen (Norwell, Mass.) would not let his collegiate career end, scoring both goals for the Big Green in a 2-1 overtime win over #9 Notre Dame in the NCAA second round.

Dartmouth (12-6-1) advances to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the second time in the past three years and will play the winner of Sacramento State at #8 seed UCLA.

Olsen got the winner for Dartmouth in the 99th minute, picking up the ball just outside the box and firing a left-footed shot past Notre Dame keeper Philip Tuttle.

It was a blustery night in South Bend, with wind steady at 15 mph and gusting to more than 20 mph. For all the dramatics, great senior goalkeeping dominated the entire game as Lyman Missimer (The Woodlands, Texas) made 12 saves in the game and his counterpart, Notre Dame's Philip Tuttle each made eight.

Notre Dame held a 25-22 shot advantage in the game and 15-7 lead in corner kicks after a big second half.

Dartmouth won the coin toss and chose to play with the wind in the first half and it helped the Big Green build a 13-7 shot advantage in the period.

Dartmouth got to work immediately in the first half with Lucky Mkosana (Bulwayo, Zimbabwe) putting a shot in Tuttle's belly in the first minute and nicking one off the post two minutes later. Notre Dame's first real chance came in the 14th minute when Steven Perry collided with a sliding Missimer, who picked the ball off Perry's foot to avert a dangerous one-on-one play.

The Big Green's counter included two dangerous attempts by Brendan Lane (Southport, Conn.) and Mkosana, respectively, that were both saved by Tuttle. Mkosana's shot in the 19th minute deflected back to him and was saved on the line by an Irish defender.

Dartmouth caught a break in the 27th minute when a handball was called on Notre Dame just outside the box but Daniel Keat had his ensuing free kick blocked by the Irish wall.

Perry had a good look for Notre Dame in the 32nd minute when he had Missimer beat but his shot went just around the far post. The Big Green closed with a flurry of offense including a free kick just outside the box by Mkosana that was saved in the 43rd minute.

Notre Dame had the wind at its backs in the second half and it showed from the opening whistle. The Irish had two good chances in the first 15 minutes and both were saved by Missimer.

The Big Green got the 1-0 advantage on a bit of a fluke play in the 64th minute. Mkosana made yet another run towards Tuttle one-on-one and collided with the keeper at the very top of the box. The ball rebounded far out to Olsen who fired on the wide open goal from about 25 yards out as all four Irish defenders simply looked on.

The Irish answered back in the 73rd minute, however, when Perry made a nice play in traffic to turn around and play the ball back to the top of the box for Dillon Powers who fired from the top right corner past a diving Missimer, tying it at 1-1.

It was all Notre Dame down the stretch in regulation, as the Irish really commanded play and took a staggering 14 corner kicks to one for Dartmouth and outshot the Green, 18-8. Missimer made two big saves in the final eight minutes of the game, however and the defense blocked countless shots to send the game to overtime.

Neither team could get anything going in overtime and the teams appeared headed to a second period when Olsen made his break on a last minute effort for Dartmouth, leading to the winner.