Nov. 21, 2010

Courtesy of Ohio Wesleyan Athletics

Senior midfielder Tyler Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) and junior forward Travis Wall (Columbus/Upper Arlington) teamed up on the game's only goal as second-ranked Ohio Wesleyan defeated 19th-ranked Johns Hopkins in a third-round matchup of the NCAA Division III tournament on Saturday at Roy Rike Field.

Ohio Wesleyan advances to a national quarterfinal game against Lynchburg, which defeated top-ranked Trinity, 2-0, in Saturday's opener. Ohio Wesleyan and Lynchburg will kick off at 6 p.m. on Sunday at Roy Rike Field, with the winner advancing to the national semifinals and championship game to be held Dec. 3-4 in San Antonio, Texas.

Johns Hopkins put together the first scoring opportunities of the game, with Kevin Hueber putting a long free kick on goal in the fourth minute and Evan Kleinberg getting off a shot from the top of the box in the 12th minute, but both times, Ohio Wesleyan keeper Paul Hendricks (Columbus/Worthington Kilbourne) was there for the save.

Ohio Wesleyan took the lead when Travis Wall sent a through pass to Tyler Wall, who finished the chance at the 13:59 mark.

The Blue Jays had a couple of dangerous chances during the second half, first in the 49th minute when Sean Duggan made a run up the right side and sent a shot toward the left post, with Hendricks making the save there.

Johns Hopkins' best chance came in the 68th minute, when a Bishop clearing attempt bounced off another Bishop defender and resulted in a loose ball in the box. The Blue Jays' Sean Coleman got to the ball and fired a shot that appeared destined for the top left corner, but Hendricks made a leaping save, batting the ball up and over the end line to preserve the lead.

Johns Hopkins outshot Ohio Wesleyan, 14-9. Hendricks finished with 7 saves in the Ohio Wesleyan goal, while Ravi Gill stopped 4 shots for the Blue Jays.

In Saturday's opener, Lynchburg scored twice in the last 13 minutes of regulation time to stun Trinity and extend the Hornets' deepest run ever into the NCAA tournament.

Trinity appeared headed for a 1-0 lead midway through the first half on Cameron Hogsett's shot from the top of the box through traffic, but the ball hooked slightly and bounced off the right post.

Each team had a dangerous chance during a frantic final 5 minutes of the first half. Lynchburg's Donald Hart III fired a shot from point-blank range off a Zach Ward throw-in, but Trinity's Tim Nelin was able to smother the ball.

Trinity had a golden opportunity in the 43rd minute when Tommy Barros headed the ball from the left side to the goal mouth. Hornet keeper Michael Releford batted the ball away, but Trinity's Jordan Wade got to it first. Wade's header, however, was cleared off the line by the Lynchburg defense. Less than a minute later, Wade blasted another shot at the Hornet goal that Releford stopped but could not control and had to scramble to cover before the oncoming Wade could get there for a follow shot.

The Hornets appeared poised to take the lead in the 62nd minute when the Tigers were called for a foul inside the penalty area. Ward lined up to take the penalty kick, but Nelin guessed correctly and made the save by the right post.

Midway through the half, Trinity had a chance to take the lead when a Releford clearing attempt went only about 20 yards from the Lynchburg goal and the Tigers' Clay Middleton jumped on the loose ball, but Releford redeemed himself by making a difficult save on Middleton's shot.

In the 78th minute, Lynchburg sent a restart into the Trinity penalty area, and after a couple of headers by the Tiger defense, Jordan Clark won the ball at the top of the box and put a shot into the back of the Trinity goal to give the Hornets the lead.

Lynchburg added some insurance in the 81st minute when Shane Spanninger made a run up the right side and crossed the ball to Hart, who finished in front to make it 2-0.

Trinity outshot Lynchburg, 17-9. Releford had 9 saves for the Hornets, and Nelin finished with 5 saves for the Tigers.