Nov. 28, 2010

Courtesy of Louisville

Louisville, Ky.
- The top ranked Louisville men's soccer team edged the Ohio State Buckeyes 2-1 at Cardinal Park on Sunday evening to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. The Cardinals improve to a school record 18-0-3.

The first 10 minutes of the game was very even between the two teams. It wasn't until the 15th minute for the first shot of the game to be taken, which was taken by All-American Colin Rolfe for the Cardinals. Louisville had the first shot on goal in the 20th minute off a corner kick from Dylan Mares, when Charlie Campbell had his shot saved by Ohio State keeper Matt Lampson. The keeper's save rebounded to a waiting Nick DeLeon, but his header went high above the crossbar.

In the 24th minute, the Cardinals were able to capitalize on a throw-in from Rolfe, when a Buckeye defender headed the ball back into the box. This gave Campbell the opportunity to head the ball into the upper right corner of the net giving Louisville the 1-0 lead. The goal was Campbell's fifth of the season.

Ohio State had their first shot on goal in the 29th minute, when Sam Scales broke through the Cardinal defense allowing him to get off a shot, but Andre Boudreaux was able to come up with the save knocking the ball out-of-bounds. On the ensuing corner kick, Ryan Lee had a header go high out of play.

The Cardinals had a great opportunity for a goal in the 39th minute when Aaron Horton sped past an Ohio State defender. The freshman was all alone with the keeper, who came at Horton and was able to deflect his shot, preserving the single goal deficit. The score remained at 1-0 for Louisville as the first half ended.

Louisville finished the first half with an 8-5 shot advantage, while the corner kicks were tied at 1-1. Boudreaux finished the half with one save, while Lampson finished with four.

The Cardinals had a shot at a goal in the 50th minute when the Ohio State keeper came out from goal to meet Rolfe, who had an open shot at the net. In a scramble at the top of the box, Mares was able to secure the ball, but his shot on the open net went wide right.

The Buckeyes were able to tie up the game when Austin McAnena received a pass from Omar Vallejo at the top of the box. As he collected the ball and dribbled toward the right side of the box, he sent a shot which was able to slide past Boudreaux to make the score 1-1 in the 52nd minute.

Three minutes later, Campbell had a shot from 18 yards out that was saved by Lampson. The Cardinals scored again in the 63rd minute when Campbell played a ball down the left side of the field to DeLeon, who crossed it into the box. The cross connected with Austin Berry as he headed in the goal into the upper left hand corner of the net to put Louisville up 2-1. The goal was Berry's fourth of the year.

The Cardinals kept the offensive pressure on Ohio State as DeLeon had an open shot at the goal, but Lampson came up with yet another save in the 77th minute. In the 87th minute, Rolfe received an open field pass, as the keeper came out of the goal his shot on the empty goal sailed wide left. The Cardinals were able to withstand a final corner kick situation in the last 15 seconds to win the game 2-1.

Louisville finished the game with an 18-16 shot advantage, while Ohio State finished with a 4-1 corner kick advantage. Boudreaux finished with one save, while Lampson finished with six.

The game was played in front of a crowd of 4,251 paid attendance, which didn't include the over 1,300 people watching from the berm making the attendance a record 5,562 surpassing last week's attendance to watch a college soccer game in the state of Kentucky.

With their 21st straight win, the Cardinals have tied the record for the longest unbeaten streak in BIG EAST history. The record was originally set by St. John's during the 1993 season.

The Cardinals will be back in action on Saturday, Dec. 4 against UCLA at 7:00 p.m. in Cardinal Park.