No. 2 Akron played Cal State Fullerton to a 0-0 draw Thursday in the opening match of the Cal State Northridge Labor Day Classic at Matador Soccer Field.

Despite a 10-2 advantage in shots, including a 6-1 margin in the first half alone, UA (1-0-1) was held scoreless in the opening period and didn't adjust well to the physical bullying by CSF, which recorded 28 fouls (to Akron's seven) and five yellow cards.

"We're not going to make excuses; we didn't play our best game today," said UA head coach Caleb Porter. "But clearly, Fullerton's game plan was to chop the game up with fouls and be physical with us and not allow us to get into a rhythm. We could be disappointed with the way the game was officiated, but the bottom line is we didn't handle it very well.

"To me, we looked like a young team that wasn't ready to deal with a physical team that came to play today. Fullerton wanted to rattle us and, in some ways, it worked. We have to do better next time."

The goalkeepers for both teams stood out for their stellar play. Akron's David Meves made four saves, incaluding a pair of highlight-reel worthy stops, as well as made great reads on balls in the box while Fullerton's Trevor Whiddon finished the game with nine stops.

No. 5 Connecticut 2, Michigan State 1
STORRS, Conn. -- No. 5 Connecticut defeated Michigan State 2-1 in front of nearly 4,000 fans at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.  Junior Max Wasserman smashed a free kick from 25 yards out in the 76th minute to give UConn the deciding goal. Freshman keeper Andre Blake made five saves in the victory.

With the game turning a physical corner late in the second half and the score tied 1-1, Wasserman stepped up and ripped a free kick from 25 yards out through a hole in the Michigan State wall to put the Huskies ahead for good.

No. 7 California 0, Northwestern 0 (2OT)
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -- Northwestern controlled the action through its match with No. 7 California at Toyota Park Thursday evening, but the Wildcats were forced to settle for a scoreless draw with the Golden Bears.

NU finished with advantages of 15-7 in shots and 8-1 in corner kicks.

The best opportunity for the Golden Bears came 25 minutes into the second half when Steve Birnbaum was waiting at the back post for a header, by NU keeper Tyler Miller made a diving deflection for the save.

The closest thing to a goal for either squad came two and a half minutes into the second overtime as Northwestern's Scott Lakin's cross into the box resulted in a shot for Oliver Kupe that was saved and bobbled.

St. John's 3, No. 8 William & Mary 0
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- St. John's netted a pair of goals just 2:20 apart midway through the first half and produced a 15-5 advantage in shots en route to a 3-0 triumph against No. 8 William & Mary that ended the Tribe's 13-game home unbeaten streak.

Jack Bennett tallied his first-career goal, the game-winner, to lead St. John's while Jimmy Mulligan had two assists. Adrian L'Esperance and Nick Matthews added one goal apiece for the Red Storm, and Rafael Diaz made three saves to post the shutout. Colin Smolinsky made four saves for William & Mary which had been 11-0-2 in its previous 13 home games.

Game information compiled from respective athletic department website