WAIPIO, Hawaii -- No. 3 Simon Fraser started its trip to Hawaii with a 4-1 victory against BYU-Hawaii. The Clan scored two goals in the first half and two in the second half en route to victory. 

With the win, SFU now sits at 10-0-0 on the year (5-0-0 in Great Northwest Athletic Conference action) while BYU-Hawaii falls to 5-2-1 on the season.

Juan Sanchez got the Clan on the board early with a goal in the fifth minute of play. Sanchez put his shot on net off a free kick from the left side which found the back of the net to open the scoring. The unassisted goal was Sanchez’s first of the season.

SFU expanded its lead in the 24th minute when Chris Bargholz netted his fourth goal of the year. After taking a pass from the middle, Bargholz found himself alone against the goalkeeper on the left side. Bargholz beat the keeper one on one to give SFU a 2-0 lead. Farhad Abdulgani had his first of three points on the afternoon with an assist on the Bargholz goal.

The first half came to a close with SFU holding a 2-0 lead, and outshooting BYU-Hawaii 10-4.

It did not take long for SFU to add to its lead in the second half.

At the start of the 48th minute, Roman Doutkevich took a pass from Abdulgani, receiving the ball on the left side. Doutkevich beat the keeper to record his first goal of the season, giving SFU a 3-0 lead.

BYU-Hawaii answered back almost immediately as it finally solved SFU goalkeeper Sheldon Steenhuis with the 49th minute coming to a close. Eric Lowe took a pass from Kamuela Kamoe off a free kick and Lowe put his shot in from the left side to get BYU on the board, and record his first goal of the season.

SFU’s three-goal lead would be restored in the 61st minute. Abdulgani got the goal, his third point of the afternoon. He was left with a one-on-one opportunity against the BYU-Hawaii goalkeeper after taking a pass from Max Baessato, before Abdulgani deposited the ball in the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

“Abdulgani was very good today, playing in tough conditions with the heat. Juan Sanchez covered a lot of ground for us in the midfield and his free kick early in the game was something special,” head coach Alan Koch said.

Steenhuis played most of the game for SFU, making two saves in just over 81 minutes of action. JD Blakely completed the game for the Clan, but was not forced to make a save.