COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Louisville (14-6-2) topped Maryland 4-2 on Sunday night at Ludwig Field in the third round of the NCAA tournament. The Cardinals advance to the quarterfinals for the second consecutive season. Senior Colin Rolfe finished the night with one goal and three assists, tying his career-high for assists.

The Cardinal attack applied pressure early to the Terps' defense. Rolfe had a shot in the second minute for the Cardinals which Maryland keeper Keith Cardona punched out for the save. The Terps also attacked early when Jerome Raley had a shot sail just high for the Terps in the fifth minute. A few minutes later Maryland's Casey Townsend sent a header from a throw-in that went wide right.

Louisville continued to gain possession, which paid off in the 19th minute as Rolfe sent a cross just inside the box to a streaking Nick DeLeon for the first goal of the game, giving Louisville a 1-0 lead. Louisville continued to keep possession for a seven minute span but were unable to get a shot on goal during that span.

Maryland regrouped offensively and Townsend had a shot in front of the right post in the 30th minute but sent the ball over the net. Three minutes later Patrick Mullins sent a cross into the right post where Townsend headed the ball in the net, scoring the equalizer. DeLeon had another opportunity for the Cardinalswhen he got a one-on-one in the box but sent the shot just wide in the 35th minute.

Maryland finished the first half with a 7-6 shot advantage while the Cards held a 2-1 corner kick advantage. Cardona finished with one save while Louisville keeper Andre Boudreaux was not tested.

The Cardinals started out on the attack early in the second half, senior Austin Berry had a header punched out by Cardona. Redshirt freshman Alexander Obbey gathered the deflection but sent it just wide in the 46th minute. Maryland then gained possession but was unable to get anything started offensively.

In the 52nd minute Kenney Walker sent a long ball to Rolfe who got ahead of the defense and sent a shot off the keeper's hand, finding the back right corner of the net for a 2-1 Cardinal lead. The Terp's pressed offensively while Kaoru Forbess sent a shot high in the 54th minute. Four minutes later, Mullins had a shot at the left post but Boudreaux punched the ball out for the save.

Maryland's offensive pressure paid off in the 67th minute Matt Oduaran scored the equalizer . The Cardinal defense dug in as Maryland continued to apply offensive pressure and Oduaran sent a shot high in the 72nd minute. The Terps were awarded a free kick in the 75th minute just outside the box but Helge Lelkvang shot went wide.

Rolfe continued to elude the Terps' defenders late in the second half. He sent a cross into the box to freshman Daniel Keller who blasted the ball past the keeper in the 78th minute for the game-winning goal. Two minutes later Rolfe blasted a shot from outside the box that sailed just high over the crossbar.

Maryland's Townsend had a shot in the 82nd minute but it went just high. On the next possession DeLeon had a shot in the 83rd minute and that sailed high. Less than a minute later Rolfe sent a cross into Michael Roman for the insurance goal, giving Louisville a 4-2 advantage that would prove to be the final margin.

Maryland applied the offensive pressure and Andrew Farrell cleared out a shot out of the goal when Bourdreaux went down in the 87th minute. Maryland sent a final shot into the goal in the final minute but Boudreaux collected the ball for the save.

Maryland finished the game with a 17-14 shot advantage and a 6-4 corner kick advantage. Bourdreaux finished with three saves and one credited team save while Cardona finished with four saves.