Steve Neumann scored first for the Hoyas.
Georgetown Athletics

WASHINGTON -- No. 10 Georgetown (12-2-1, 3-2-0 Big East) posted a huge victory against the No. 4 Marquette Golden Eagles (12-1-0, 3-1-0 Big East) 2-1 on Saturday at North Kehoe Field.

The win handed the Golden Eagles their first loss of the season after being one of just two teams in the nation to be unbeaten. It also marked the highest-ranked victory for the Blue & Gray under Head Coach Brian Wiese. The previous top win was in 2010 against No. 6 Connecticut.

"Marquette is a very good team and it's a tribute to our league that we have so many legitimate top 10 teams," said Wiese. "I thought we played a very disciplined game today, but they made it hard on us. The older guys stepped up and really managed the game."

The Hoyas began firing and controlled the pace early. A header went wide off of a corner kick, but it wasn't until the 22nd minute that the Blue & Gray got on the board.

A foul down the left side of the field resulted in a free kick from junior forward Steve Neumann. He passed into the box and senior defender Tommy Muller got his head on it, flicking it backwards into the top right corner of the net.

In the 35th minute, MU found the equalizer after a poor clearance by the Blue & Gray. The ball was knocked off of the line, but right to a Marquette player at the top of the box. Bryan Ciesiulka settled the ball and shot to the right corner on the ground to find the back of the net and tie it at one.

Marquette would gain momentum from the goal as the Golden Eagles began to pressure late in the half, but the squads would go into the break tied at one.

Both teams came out of the half looking to take the lead. Senior midfielder Ian Christianson had a number of looks early, but it was freshman forward Brandon Allen who set up GU's second goal, which would prove to be the game winner.

Allen dribbled down the field and a step into the box before he was tripped up by the defender. The referee called the foul just outside the box giving Neumann the free kick from 18 yards out. Neumann managed to shoot a low driven ball around the wall and into the right corner to make it 2-1 and once again give the Hoyas the lead.

With 10 minutes remaining, Marquette had its best chance of the game as a cross traveled in front of the goal and inches past the left post as the Hoyas held on to the one-goal advantage.

The Golden Eagles continued to pressure as the squad searched for the equalizer serving ball after ball into the box. A second shot from Ciesiulka went just wide left and MU sent everyone forward as the time ticked away.

Neumann continued to look for his second goal of the game with a number of shots late, but none found the back of the net making the final 2-1.

Georgetown outshot Marquette 20-13 and both squads took five corner kicks apiece. MU goalkeeper Charlie Lyon took the loss in the net with three saves, while sophomore Tomas Gomez was awarded the victory with two saves to his credit.