STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut junior forward Mamadou Doudou Diouf notched his 14th goal of the season as UConn downed Northeastern 1-0 in the NCAA second round held at Morrone Stadium in front of 4,675 fans on Sunday afternoon.

"They are a very good team. Very well coached," UConn head coach Ray Reid said. "They only lost two games going into [Sunday]. Won their conference. They're a good team. They gave us all we could handle [Sunday]."

With the victory, UConn advances to the NCAA third round.

"Getting a win [Sunday] is a great feeling, we all know that it's tournament time and NCAA time," UConn goalkeeper Andre Blake said. "It's now or never. Every team is going to bring it. We've been in this situation last year and we know what it is like. We know it's always going to be a fight. [Sunday] was a fight and we just came out better in the end."

Blake needed two saves to earn his 11th shutout of the season.

Northeastern played a physical game in the opening half and the Huskies capitalized on a free kick from the right side in the 24th minute. Max Wasserman drove a ball in from the right side that was punched out by Oliver Blum, but only as far as the top of the box. George Fochive headed back into the box where Mamadou Doudou Diouf turned a one-time shot into the lower right corner.

"I saw that the ball was going outside [the box], I know George [Fochive] from where he was would only be able to put the ball back with his head. It was a lot of traffic in there, I didn't try to control it. I just one-time finish in there."

Northeastern outshot UConn 10-5, including a 5-1 edge in the first half. The NU Huskies had chances, but failed to put a shot on net in the opening 45 minutes.

Northeastern's Nikko Lara executed a flip-throw from the left side for the first chance of the match at 9:50, resulting in a shot wide left from inside the box by Simon Cox.

Northeastern finished the first half with a 5-1 edge in shots with most of the attempts coming from distance or poor angles as Blake finished the half without a save.

Connecticut created an excellent chance 10 minutes into the second half with a spell of quick passing in the midfield, highlighted by a give-and-go with Carlos Alvarez and Max Wasserman on the right side. Alvarez tried to send a pass from the right end line towards Diouf at the penalty spot but the NU defense cleared it away.

NU forward Don Anding, the CAA Player of the Year, had a chance at 76:27 but pushed a shot from the left corner of the box wide left.

Diouf had a chance to put the game out of reach but hit the cross bar at 87:45 trying to chip Blum from 20 yards out.