Zavaleta scored the game-winner for Indiana.
Indiana Athletics

NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- Indiana will make its first trip to the national quarterfinals since 2008 with a 2-1 double OT win against Notre Dame on Sunday in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

The Hoosiers improved to 13-5-3, while Notre Dame ends its season at 17-4-1.

"What a win for this program," head coach Todd Yeagley said. "The team played a complete 90 [minutes] and we took it to a very good Notre Dame team. They were a fantastic team this year and we knew we had to be at our best. [Sunday] our discipline and the way we executed our plan made the difference."

Indiana had the early attack, with shots from Harrison Petts and Nikita Kotlov saved by Notre Dame goalkeeper Will Walsh. IU held a 5-0 lead in shots through the first 23 minutes, with three of those attempts on frame.

With 15:40 to play in the first half, A.J. Corrado took a shot, but Walsh came through for the save. As time wound down, Richard Ballard connected with a serve from Matt McKain, but sent his header high.

The Hoosiers went into the locker room with an 8-2 advantage in shots. Indiana contained the scoring threats of Harrison Shipp, Ryan Finley and Patrick Hodan, not allowing a shot from the Fighting Irish's top three scorers in the final 27 minutes of the half.

Notre Dame took a 1-0 lead in the second half when Shipp found Kyle Richard alone at the top of the 18. Richard then sent a shot to the lower right for the score in the 54th minute.

Just 56 seconds after the goal, Kotlov scored his eighth goal of the year and fourth in two NCAA tournament games. Kotlov took a tight-angled shot on a pass from Corrado, who netted his 12th assist of the season on the play. The back-and-forth play continued as Notre Dame's Patrick Hodan sent a shot off the right post immediately after the Hoosiers score.

With just over 22 minute to play, Patrick Doody took a shot from just outside the 18. Walsh dived to his left and punched the ball over for an IU corner kick.

Notre Dame thought it had a goal with a slip header off a Dillon Powers free kick, but the referee called a foul, negating the score.

Femi Hollinger-Janzen had a shot early in the first overtime period that was blocked. The ball fell to Matt McKain, who tried to loop the ball around Walsh but the goalkeeper chased down the attempt on the far post.

Less than two minutes into the second overtime period, Eriq Zavaleta ended the match with his 17th goal of the year. McKain served the ball in and Kotlov flicked it on to Zavaleta, who headed home his sixth game-winning goal of the season.

"I haven't scored a tournament goal with this team and there isn't a better moment to have it," Zavaleta said. "I am so proud of this team. This is the best I have seen this team play in a long time."

Indiana finished with a 19-11 shot advantage, 10 of which were on frame. The Hoosiers took seven corner kicks to two from the Fighting Irish.