LOUISVILLE, Ky, -- Tenth-seeded Louisville (14-5-1) defeated Northwestern (13-6-4) 2-1 in an NCAA Championship third-round match on Sunday at Cardinal Park. With the win, the Cardinals will travel to College Park to take on No. 2-seed Maryland on Dec. 1.

Both the Cardinals and the Wildcats were able to get on the scoreboard quickly as they registered a goal within the first five minutes of the match. Louisville's goal came in the second minute, when Freshmen Marlon Hairston gathered the ball off a rebound and fired a shot in the back of the net to make it 1-0.

Jarrett Baughman of Northwestern wasted no time in scoring the equalizer, when he gathered a pass from Chris Ritter inside the box and netted his first goal of the season. Baughman once again had an opportunity to score, but his header was saved by Cardinal keeper Mike Mauro in the 23rd minute of play.

Louisville once again had a chance to take the lead before the first half ended. Junior Zach Foxhoven got free from defenders, but failed to secure the ball long enough to register a shot. The Cardinals ended the first half with a 1-1 tie with the Wildcats. Louisville and Northwestern each registered four shots while Mauro recorded two saves and Miller registered one.

The Cardinals were on the attack in the second half and looked to test Miller. Junior Andrew Farrell maneuvered around the Wildcats and fed the ball to senior Ryan Smith, who had his shot blocked. Louisville's next opportunity came in the 55th minute. Senior Paolo DelPiccolo had a corner kick which led to sophomore Daniel Keller attempting a header that was gathered in by Miller.

Northwestern then successfully moved the ball up the field. In the 68th minute Henry Herrill sent a cross into the box and was headed towards the goal, but Mauro made a diving save to keep the score tied. The Wildcats then had another opportunity to take control of the game when Cole Missimo had his shot blocked in the 77th minute of the match.

In the 86th minute Foxhoven gathered the ball and sent it to Mares, who this time was able to beat the goalie, but fired his shot wide that eventually bounced off a Northwestern defender for an own goal to give Louisville a 2-1 lead. Northwestern had one last attempt off a throw, but the shot bounced wide of the goal.