soccer-men-d3 flag | September 17, 2013

Roundup: No. 1 Messiah stays unbeaten

No. 1 Messiah 3, No. 12 Dickinson 1

CARLISLE, Pa –- No. 1 Messiah defeated No. 9 Dickinson on the road Tuesday night, winning 3-1 after receiving goals from three different players. For the Falcons, it moved their all-time record against the Red Devils to 33-0-0 — a streak that dates back to 1977. The win also marks the fifth consecutive season that Messiah has given Dickinson its first loss of the season.

Jeremy Payne started the scoring early for Messiah, muscling off a defender in the Falcons' attacking third before turning, going straight at keeper Reed Milbrath, and beating him near post. The tally was Payne's third of the season.

Just twenty minutes later, the Falcons doubled their lead with a free-kick off the foot of Josh Kremers. It was the defender's first goal of the year, and came on a perfect strike that bent over the Red Devils' wall and under the dive of Milbrath near the post. The Falcons came close to extending their lead in the final seconds of the half on shots by Zach Bosshard (blocked) and Bryant Myer (over the crossbar), but would have to settle for a 2-0 lead through the intermission.

In the second-half, Jack Thompson completed the Falcons' scoring in the 49th minute with his first tally of the year. Payne delivered the assist after stripping the Dickinson defender and slotting to Thompson on his run toward the goal. Dickinson's Alred Hylton prevented the shutout with a score in the 67th minute, with the helper credited to Braedon Kelly.

In total, Messiah outshot Dickinson 23-11 while attempting 10 corners to the Red Devils' zero. Milbrath collected five saves in the net, with Brandon West grabbing four saves of his own for the Falcons.

With the win, Messiah remains undefeated and moves to 7-0. Dickinson falls to 5-1.

Calvin 5, No. 8 Hope 1

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Calvin hosted the rival Flying Dutchmen of Hope on Tuesday afternoon in each team’s MIAA opener. The Knights entered the contest 0-3-0 while Hope was ranked eighth in the nation with a record of 4-1-1. Calvin, playing at home for the first time this year, treated a crowd of more than 1,000 to a 5-1 victory and its first win of the season.

The opening minutes were played evenly, with neither team seeing any strong opportunities on net. Then, in the 15th minute, junior Gavin Midlam broke the 0-0 tie for the Flying Dutchmen. Senior Grant Neil sent a throw-in into the box from 30 yards out, and Midlam, with just a slight misdirection of his head, put the ball into the back of the net to give Hope the 1-0 lead.

Just more than a minute later, the Knights received an emphatic response from junior Travis Vegter. With two Hope defenders on his hip, Vegter put a rocket-shot from 35 yards out into the top-left corner of the net to score his sixth goal of the season and tie the game at 1-1.

Utilizing its speed on the outside, Calvin continued to see chances on net. In the 30th minute, the Knights took the lead on a goal from senior Zach Willis. Willis took a pass from sophomore Taylor Pruis, and from the top of the box, placed the ball over the Hope keeper and into the back corner of the net as the Knights took a 2-1 lead, which they took into halftime.

Out of the break, the Knights added an insurance goal in the 54th minute. Taylor Pruis dispossessed defender Grant Neil in Hope’s defensive third then found freshman Stephen Hooker at the top of the box. Hooker then calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner of the net to put Calvin’s lead at 3-1.

Pruis continued his impressive game in the 82nd minute. Making a run into the center of the box, Pruis took a cross from Willis and volleyed it top-shelf to give the Knights a 4-1 edge.

In the 87th minute, the Knights completed the impressive victory with yet another goal, and again, it was Pruis who found the back of the net. Running up the middle, sophomore Jon Filippini found Pruis on a looping-pass over the defense. Placing the ball into the bottom right corner of the net, Pruis scored his second goal of the game and completed the 5-1 victory for the Knights.

Pruis finished the game with two goals and two assists while Willis had one goal and an assist. Calvin outshot the Flying Dutchmen 16-8. Junior goalkeeper Andrew Claucherty made three saves to earn the win.

“That is a very good Hope team. That result is not indicative of the team that we played,” head coach Ryan Souders said. “We said we had to play 90 minutes, and tonight, shy of a mishap in terms of marking in the first half, we played 90 minutes. I’m real proud of our guys. We opened up (our season) on the road, we played really tough opponents, and it is good to come home.”

The Knights move to 1-3-0 on the year while Hope drops to 4-2-1.