soccer-men-d2 flag

St. Edward's Athletics | October 21, 2013

Rebounding after a loss

AUSTIN, Texas -- Fourth-ranked St. Edward's returned to its winning ways with a 3-1 victory against McMurry on Monday afternoon at Lewis-Chen Family Field. The Hilltoppers improve to 9-2-1 overall and 5-0 in Heartland Conference play.

St. Edward's was in attack mode early with multiple chances to take the game's first lead. Anderson McDaniel was involved early, taking an early shot and three corner kicks. McDaniel's shot went over the net while his corner kicks never had an opportunity to pose a serious threat.

Late in the first period, St. Edward's had its opportunities to score. Coleton Stymiest took a shot, but it was blocked the swarming War Hawk defense. Seconds later, Nate Coons had a header chance, but it was also blocked. Ryan Dedinger and Jason Aiken also took shots, but were both blocked. McMurry kept 10 men on the defensive side of the field at times in attempt to limit scoring opportunities to St. Edward's. The score was 0-0 going into halftime.

In the second half, the War Hawks continued to slow down the pace of the game.

It wasn't until the 64th minute that St. Edward's had a real opportunity of scoring. McDaniel was taken down outside the box and was awarded a free kick. McDaniel fired it through the wall and it found the back of the net for the 1-0 St. Edward's lead.

Ten minutes later, the War Hawks countered when James Ness was awarded with a penalty kick. Ness beat John Kaschak and tied the game at one apiece with about 24 minutes remaining.

The Hilltoppers regained the lead two minutes later when Daniel Riley scored his team-leading 10th goal of the season. Jason Aiken crossed the ball from the right side and Riley beat the keeper from 10 yards out.

Riley put the exclamation point on the game with a penalty kick in the 87th minute. Gustavo Mendoza of McMurry took down Riley in the box to set up the penalty kick. Riley beat the keeper for his 11th goal of the season. The Hilltoppers would run out the clock and win the match 3-1.

"I was proud of the team bouncing back with a tough loss to Midwestern on Saturday with a good performance [on Monday]," St. Edward's head coach Brian Young said.