soccer-men-d3 flag

Rochester (N.Y.) Athletics | November 17, 2013

Rochester advances past Oberlin

Rochester advanced to the round of 16 of the NCAA Division III Soccer Tournament with a 3-0 victory against Oberlin on Sunday evening.

The Yellowjackets (15-2-2) advance past the second round of the NCAA tournament for just the third time in the program's history while Oberlin (14-4-4) loses in the second round in its first appearance in NCAA postseason play.

Rochester senior Max Fan scored the first goal for the second consecutive night after he found the bottom right corner off a breakaway pass from freshman Jeff Greblick. After only two goals during the regular season, Fan has matched that total in his first two postseason contests. 

After his goal in the first half, Fan supplied the primary assist on Rochester's second goal coming 14 minutes into the second half. Junior Griffin Drake beat his defender one-on-one along the right sideline and then fed Fan who crossed a beautiful ball to junior Shane Dobles who was waiting along the far post for an easy strike into the goal. Said Fan of the play "I like making a great pass setting up a goal better than scoring, it gets more of my teammates involved in the game."

Head coach Chris Apple's bench would supply a third goal for Rochester, giving the home Yellowjackets some insurance in the later part of the contest. Sophomore Andrew Greenway started the play dribbling in the midfield before dishing the ball along the sideline to junior Jarvis D'Souza. D'Souza then crossed a pass right at the back post where freshman Ben Swanger was waiting to head in his 2nd goal of the year.

Drake would supply the first two good chances of the contest for the Yellowjackets, shooting a cross from Jeff Fafkinski high in the fifth minute, and then sending a ball into the box that was sent high by Greblick seven minutes later.

Oberlin could only muster three shots in the game, one of which was on goal in the opening 45 minutes, courtesy of sophomore John Ingham. The Yeomen only earned one corner as well, coming with under 10 seconds to play in the first half, so they were unable to set up a play to potential score the equalizer.

Fan nearly scored his second of the night for Rochester 20 minutes into the second half, but Oberlin keeper Brandt Rentel made a great save off the redirected free kick. Rentel couldn't rest long though, as he was forced to make a diving save off a hard 35-yard strike from sophomore Andrew Greenway two minutes later. Rentel would make eight saves on the night, his last college game at Oberlin.

The Yeomen earned a solid chance with just under 20 minutes left in the game, but the cross from freshman Sam Weiss looking for Adam Chazin-Gray at the back post was cut off nicely by UR goalkeeper Mike Moranz. Moranz made one save in the UR net for his seventh shutout of the year.