soccer-men-d1 flag

St. John's (N.Y.) Athletics | November 22, 2013

St. John's (N.Y.) goes to OT to beat Delaware

NEWARK, Del. -- Forced into overtime after surrendering a goal with just 1:35 left in regulation, St. John's responded as Jordan Rouse netted the golden goal in the 99th minute to send St. John's into the NCAA tournament second round with a 2-1 win on the road against Delaware.

Gabriel Camara became the 13th different player to score a goal for St. John's (11-6-2) this season, while Danny Bedoya and Jelani Williams each added an assist, and Rafael Diaz made eight saves in goal. Guillermo Delgado scored a goal to pace Delaware (14-5-1) and Borja Barbero made three saves.

"That was a heck of a soccer game and we're very happy to be leaving with a win," SJU head coach Dave Masur said. "Delaware is a very organized and attack-oriented team and we were well aware of their ability to score goals in bunches. It's always tough to give up such a late goal and I am proud of the way our guys regrouped and kept working for the winner."

St. John's took advantage of its first corner kick attempt and grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute. Bedoya sent the ball in toward the top of the box for Camara, who blasted a volley into the upper right corner for the early lead.

The Red Storm had another good look in the 23rd minute as Bedoya worked in behind the defense and redirected a forward pass with a flick towards the right post that missed just wide.

Delaware went back on the attack in the 38th minute and Delgado curled a shot toward the right post that Diaz was able to corral for the save.

The back-and-forth offensive flow continued as a foul set up a Red Storm free kick in the 41st minute. Daniel Herrera took the 25-yard effort and Barbero made a diving stop to tip the low shot past the endline. The ensuing corner created a shot for Miguel Alves from the top of the box that was blocked by the defense.

Delaware had one last chance in the 43rd minute as Delgado ripped a blast at Diaz, who snared it for his fourth save of the half and St. John's took a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Neither team registered a shot in the second half until the 56th minute when Diaz deflected an effort from the right by Gimenez. The rebound ended up just outside the top of the 18-yard box, but a blast from Prince Nartey was well high.

The Blue Hens had a great look in the 88th minute as Jaime Martinez unleashed a rising blast, but Diaz was able to tip the ball over the crossbar.

The ensuing corner kick was knocked out-of-bounds, but Delaware was able to take advantage of the second corner kick opportunity to tie the game with just 1:35 left in regulation. Nartey sent the corner towards the far post and Mark Garrity headed the ball down for Delgado, who snuck a shot inside the left post to tie the game.

St. John's had one last look for the winner as a Delaware foul along the left sideline gave the Red Storm a free kick in the 90th minute. The free kick from Cody Albrecht found Rouse in the box, but a close-range shot was saved by Barbero and the game headed into overtime tied at 1-1.

St. John's took advantage of its first scoring chance in overtime as Rouse found the back of the net in the 99th minute following a scrum in the box. A ball played into the box from the left found Rouse before the ball was knocked around and ended up at the feet of Williams toward the middle of the box. A touch from Williams ended up back at the feet of Rouse, who then cleaned up the loose ball and beat Barbero for the golden goal.

St. John's will now travel to Charlottesville to play eighth-seeded Virginia in a second-round game at 1 p.m. Sunday. 

No. 6 Tennessee falls at buzzer (again), Stanford stuns No. 4 Arizona, more from a 'super' Saturday in men's hoops

Here's what you may have missed in men's college basketball on Saturday, Feb. 11, a day full of upsets.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners