Lewis 3, No. 2 Saginaw Valley State 2

ROMEOVILLE, Ill. -- Lewis knew it was in for a challenge, as it hosted 2012 national runner-up and No. 2-ranked Saginaw Valley in its season opener on Thursday. 

The Flyers, however, were up to the task, as sophomore defender Isaac Sutton scored his first career goal in the 108th minute to lift Lewis to the 3-2 double-overtime victory against the visiting Cardinals.

With the win, Lewis improved to 1-0, while the Cardinals fell to 0-1.

Junior forward George Thomson put the Flyers on the board first in the 10th minute with the first goal of the Lewis season. Sophomore midfielder Lenin Roa-Tapia assisted on the play. The Flyers extended their lead to 2-0 90 seconds later, as Thomson uncorked a shot past SVSU goalie Tyler Yachcik.

"I thought in the first half we did a lot of things that we had talked about before the game," Lewis head coach Evan Fiffles said.  "I thought we executed really well."

While the Flyers were in control in the first half, the Cardinals seized momentum in the second.

SVSU's Michael Lamb began the comeback attempt, as his header off of a Morley Burns' corner kick, cut Lewis' lead in half at 2-1 in the 54th minute.

The Cardinals evened the score up at the 58:44 mark, as Lachlan Savage stole a pass from Lewis goalkeeper Alec Pickett and scored from about 15 yards out.

Pickett finished the game with eight saves, while his counterpart Yachcik stoned three Flyer shots.

Sutton's heroics came with 2:38 left in the second OT, as he took a pass from Thomson and scored his first career goal from 12 yards out. He made the most of his opportunity, as he had been recently injured.

"Being out for two weeks and going up against a nationally-ranked team just gave me the motivation to play," Sutton said.  "I knew once I was given the chance, I'd have to take it."

No. 3 Simon Fraser 2, Cal State-East Bay 1

HAYWARD, Calif. –- Thursday night at Pioneer Field marked the official opening of the 2013 campaign. Cal State East Bay junior Chris Lara scored the equalizer early in the first half, but an early second half score for No. 3 Simon Fraser proved the difference in a 2-1 decision.

Simon Fraser (1-0-0) opened the scoring in the 10th minute following Lucas Ferritto's goal. Teammate Colin Jacques capped off his solo run with a low cross to the feet of Ferritto near the center of the penalty area. The senior forward finished with a right-footed strike towards the right side netting.

Simon Fraser's Jules Chopin netted the game-winner just four minutes into the second half. The Clan had numbers on the attack but Chopin finished off his own effort with a low screamer across the face of the goal.

Post 1, No. 7 Southern New Hampshire 0

MANCHESTER, N.H. –- Raphael Moura's goal 8:19 before intermission proved to be the difference as Post blanked seventh-ranked Southern New Hampshire 1-0 in non-conference action at Larkin Field. The game marked the season opener for both schools and was a meeting between teams picked to win their respective leagues, as the Eagles were the pick in the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference preseason poll, while the Penmen were picked preseason favorites in the Northeast-10 Conference.

In the 37th minute, Joe Baccielo was standing on the end line to the left of the Penmen goal and played a cross over to Moura, who scored on a diving header to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead and what proved to be the victory.

The Penmen gradually applied pressure and outshot Post 10-4 in the second half. Just past the 72-minute mark, Christian Rodriguez fired a bullet from just inside the top of the 18 that was snuffed out by Eagle keeper Jon Hanlon. A little mmore than three minutes later, Kenny Doublette dribbled through the Post defense and got off a shot that went just left of the near left post. With just under two minutes to play, Hanlon came up with another save on an attempt by Pierre Omanga to seal the shutout and the win.

Hanlon finished with three saves while Penmen counterpart Dom DiMaggio made a pair of stops.  Southern New Hampshire held a 12-9 shot advantage for the game, with the visitors generating a 9-3 lead in corner kicks on the evening.

No. 8 C.W. Post 3, Concorida 0

BROOKVILLE, N.Y. -- Junior forward Eivind Austboe notched a goal and two assists Thursday, as the eighth-ranked C.W. Post shut out Concordia 3-0 in its season opener.

Austboe, who led all players with seven shots (six on goal) on the day, scored his lone tally in the 11th minute to give the Pioneers (1-0) an early 1-0 lead. On the play, redshirt senior back Leron Haywood found a wide-open Austboe on the far side, who tapped the ball inside the left post for C.W. Post's first marker of the year.

The hosts, despite holding a slight 7-6 edge in shots in the opening stanza and playing a man down from the 27:34 mark, maintained the one-goal cushion at the break.

In the second half, the Pioneers doubled their advantage just two-and-a-half minutes in. After dribbling past three Clippers' (0-1) defensemen, Austboe sent a cross-pass to freshman forward Johann Kristjansson. The rookie subsequently found the mesh from point-blank range, making it a 2-0 game.

Austboe had a hand in the green and gold's final goal as well. He fed senior forward Cemil Turan for an easy tap-in with 26:20 left in regulation.

Concordia managed six attempts on net in the contest, all of which were swallowed up by Marco Jorgensen. It was the 16th career shutout for Jorgensen, a senior .