No. 1 Messiah 2, No. 24 Oneonta State 1

ONEONTA, N.Y. -- A battle of two top-25 teams did not disappoint as No. 1 Messiah earned a 2-1 overtime win against No. 24 Oneonta State in the Red Dragons' Mayor's Cup Tournament.

Joshua Wood provided the game-winner in the 93rd minute with a header off a serve from the left wing by Jack Thompson. Wood's redirection came from just six yards out in front of the goal, with keeper Daniel DeBottis unable to react quickly enough to stop the ball from sailing past his right shoulder.

The victory moves Messiah to 3-0 on the season, with Oneonta State falling to 1-1.

With Oneonta opening up the field, Messiah also found opportunities to push forward. Jeremy Payne almost gave the Falcons an early lead in 16th minute after Kovach attacked along the right end line and dropped a pass back to Payne on the right side of the box. His quick shot from 15 yards out was saved by DeBottis in the air, preserving the 0-0 score.

After just 14 minutes of play in the second half, Messiah finally broke the stalemate in the 59th minute after Jeremy Payne found space to push through the left side of the midfield. Payne carried the possession to the top of the 18-yard line before moving the ball parallel to Brian Ramirez at the top of box. Ramirez touched right and quickly dropping the ball to Kovach inside the 18 on the right side. His quick cut to the goal brought DeBottis off his line where he managed to deflect — but not stop — Kovach's hard strike.

Franklin & Marshall 4, No. 9 Claremont-M-S 0

ONEONTA, N.Y. -- Ben Beaver tallied the first hat trick of his career to lift Franklin & Marshall to a 4-0 victory against No. 9 Claremont-M-S in the opening game of the Mayor's Cup Tournament hosted by Oneonta State.

Beaver and the Diplomats (3-0) came out firing, jumping on top of the Stags (1-1) with a pair of early goals less than a minute apart. In the 12th minute, Beaver headed a chipped cross from Jeremy Levine that found the back of the net to give F&M a 1-0 edge. Less then a minute later Beaver, a senior forward, struck paydirt once again, this time on an assist from Sam Lane.

Vince Perry increased the F&M advantage in the 39th minute after finishing a loose ball in the box to give the Diplomats a comfortable three-goal cushion heading into the intermission.

In the 69th minute, Beaver secured the hat trick after stealing the ball from Stags goalkeeper Daniel Roberts and sliding it into the empty net. The goals marked the eighth multiple-goal game of Beaver's career, and gives him five scores on the year and 37 for his career, which is just seven shy of tying Scott Runyon's all-time record.

F&M goalkeeper T.J. White maintained his clean sheet for the season, notching three saves in the full 90 minutes of action. Roberts posted four saves in the defeat for CMS.

No. 10 Ohio Wesleyan 3, Christopher Newport 2 OT

DELAWARE, Ohio -- Drew Pang scored a goal in the 108th minute as No. 10 Ohio Wesleyan (3-0-0) survived a test from Christopher Newport (1-2-0) in front of 810 fans.

Both teams scored a pair of goals in the second half, including a game-tying goal from Keith Phelps in the 83rd minute. But after a scoreless first overtime, Pang tapped in a pass from Matt Shadoan to give the Battling Bishops the win.

After a goal by Jalon Brown to open the scoring for Christopher Newport, Ohio Wesleyan tied the game on a goal in the 63rd minute from Lonnie Barnes. About seven minutes later, Colton Bloecher gave Ohio Wesleyan a 2-1 lead.