No. 2 Creighton 3, Columbia 1

OMAHA, Neb. -- In front of the sixth-largest home crowd in Creighton history, the No. 2 Bluejays knocked off Columbia 3-1 at Morrison Stadium on Friday night.

An energized crowd of 5,102 looked on as Creighton (3-0-0) opened the scoring on a breakaway from senior Sean Kim at 14:32 of the first half. Kim handled the ball down the middle of the box before beating Columbia (0-1-0) goalkeeper Kyle Jackson one-one-one. It marked Kim’s first goal of the season.

The Bluejays maintained their lead into halftime, leading the half in shot attempts at 8-3.

Columbia fought back to knot the score at 1-1 early in the second half in the 55th minute. The Lions applied pressure on the Creighton defense before David Najem scored from close range inside the box. Columbia’s Will Stamatis was credited with the assist.

The Jays regained the lead at 2-1 in the 77th after sophomore Timo Pitter scored his third goal of the season. He maneuvered around a Columbia defender on the far right side of the box near the goal line. Pitter blasted a top-shelf shot past Jackson on the left side of the goal at a difficult angle.

A little more than 10 minutes later, Creighton freshman Ricardo Perez scored his second goal of the season from just a few yards out after a senior Carlos McCrary sent in the ball from the left side on the assist.

Junior Alex Bolowich earned his third victory of the year in goal for the Jays.

No. 3 Connecticut 1, Boston 0

STORRS, Conn. -- Junior transfer Edir DaGraca scored his first goal as a Husky in the 41st minute as No. 3 Connecticut defeated the Boston University Terriers 1-0 in front of a crowd of 4,243 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. UConn improves to 2-0-0 on the season while the Terriers fall to 0-2-0.

DaGraca's goal was created by Mamadou Diouf who laced a pass to the top left of the box where DaGraca was waiting. He turned and fired a shot into the bottom left corner of the net past BU's sprawling goalkeeper, Matt Gilbert. It marked DaGraca's first points as a Husky and also gave Diouf his first assist of the season.

Connecticut had numerous opportunities in the first half, outshooting the Terriers 9-2 . In the 17th minute, Kwame Awuah crossed a ball into the right side of the box from 20 yards out that narrowly missed Cyle Larin's head. Larin was again involved in the 34th minute when he sent a through ball to Diouf who ripped a shot that curled wide of the net.

Boston University maintained possession for the first 10 minutes of the match but couldn't get much offense going as the Connecticut backline played tough all night. Andre Blake played all 90 minutes for the Huskies, making one save and earning his second shutout of the year. The Husky goalkeeper improves to 2-0-0 on the young season. Last season, Blake allowed just 12 total goals.

No. 23 St. John's 2, No. 5 Akron 1

QUEENS, N.Y. -- Exactly one week after scoring the game-winning goal in the season-opener, Jimmy Mulligan buried a penalty kick in the 106th minute to net the golden goal and lift No. 23 St. John's to a 2-1 win against No. 5 Akron in front of 1,533 fans at Belson Stadium. Josh Godec added his first-career goal to help lead St. John's (2-1-0), while Rafael Diaz made three saves. Eric Stevenson scored the lone goal for Akron (2-1-0) and Fernando Pina stopped four shots.

St. John's got its game-winner in the 106th minute. Tim Parker worked the ball up the left side of the field and into the box before being taken down by an Akron defender and earning a penalty kick. Mulligan then stepped to the spot and beat Pina with a shot just right of center for the golden goal.

UAB 2, No. 8 Indiana 1

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- With 17 seconds remaining in the first overtime period freshman Rami Dajani headed a ball past Indiana's Michael Soderlund to give No. 18 UAB (3-0-0) a 2-1 victory against No. 8 Indiana (1-2-0), the defending national champions, on Friday night at West Campus Field.

In front of a West Campus Field-record crowd of 3,205, redshirt junior Alex Clay pounded a shot on Soderlund in the final minute of the first overtime period. Soderlund could not collect the save and Dajani headed it past the Hoosiers' keeper, sealing the win for the Blazers.

After a scoreless first half, filled with great defending, the 2012 national champions took a 1-0 lead in the 52nd minute. Indiana's A.J. Corrado corralled a pass from Nikita Kotlov inside the Green and Gold box and gently placed it past the outstretched arms of UAB's Raphael Ville.

The Blazers would not pack it in, though. Sophomore Freddy Ruiz presented the team with its first real scoring opportunity of the match. Ruiz clanked one off the crossbar in the 73rd minute, missing the equalizing goal by only a few inches.

When it seemed all but over, an Indiana foul was called inside the Hoosiers' box in the final minute of regulation. Junior Diego Navarrete lined up for a penalty kick with 46 seconds remaining in the second stanza. Navarrete buried the shot past Soderland, tying the match with only seconds to spare.

In the overtime session, UAB came out firing. Soderlund kept the Blazers at bay, recording his only two saves of the game. Then finally, the host team broke through and tallied the game-winner.

No. 9 New Mexico 1, VCU 1

RICHMOND, Va. -- New Mexico opened its east coast road trip with a 1-1 draw at VCU (0-1-1). New Mexico (1-0-1) got on the scoreboard late in the first half, but was equalized 10 minutes into the second half.

The match was tight for much of the first half. New Mexico held possession early on before VCU produced a couple of threatening chances, which included a goal that was waved off on a handball call in the box.

The Lobos regained possession and pushed towards the end of the half before finding the back of the net. James Wypych penetrated along the left side and fired a pass into the box, which James Rogers tapped home for the goal with his right foot.

It was the Rams who drew the only blood in the second half with an equalizer in the 56th minute. The VCU goal came on a run from Devon Fisher who tracked down a long pass from Isaac Iwusu. Neither side would score in the final 35 minutes of regulation after the home team’s goal.

An uneventful first overtime gave way to a scoreless second overtime. The Lobos threatened in the second overtime when James Rogers collected a ball in the corner of the VCU box. Rogers attempted a shot while slipping to the ground, but it was saved by VCU’s goalkeeper Andrew Wells.