In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d3 flag | September 19, 2013

Roundup: ONU, Ohio Wesleyan get OT wins

T6 Ohio Wesleyan 3, Heidelberg 2 (OT)

DELAWARE, Ohio -- Senior midfielder Jon Stegner scored early in the second overtime to give Ohio Wesleyan a non-conference win against Heidelberg on Friday at the Jay Martin Soccer Complex.

Junior midfielder Colton Bloecher sent the ball ahead to Stegner, who chipped the ball over onrushing Student Prince keeper Matthew Stevens and into the Heidelberg goal.

The Bishops had taken a 1-0 lead on a goal by senior forward Taylor Rieger in the 21st minute. Senior midfielder Paolo Bucci crossed the ball from the right side to Rieger at the six-yard line, and Rieger finished the chance to put the Bishops on the scoreboard.

Heidelberg countered with a goal in the 39th minute. Kyle Boone's shot from the left side hit the crossbar, and the ball bounced to Andres Isea on the right side. Isea fired a shot that bounced off the arm of junior goalkeeper Colin Beemiller and into the right side of the net.

Ohio Wesleyan retook the lead in the waning seconds of the first half as Bloecher sent a through ball to sophomore forward Evan Lee, who fired a low shot into the Heidelberg goal with 30 seconds remaining in the period.

The Student Princes evened the game at 2-2 when Isea's corner kick from the left side hooked inside the right post with 2:55 left in regulation time.

Lee and Bloecher nearly combined on another goal, with Lee sending a through ball to set up a chance, but Bloecher's shot went wide right.

The Bishops almost wrapped up the game during the final minute of the first overtime period, earning a corner kick after a flurry of three shots inside the Heidelberg penalty area. Bloecher's header went outside the right post by the width of the ball, however.

No. 8 Ohio Northern 3, Albion 2 (2OT)

ADA, Ohio -- Freshman Ryan Prescott scored at the 103:17 mark in the second overtime to give the No. 8 Ohio Northern men's soccer team a 3-2 victory against Albion on Friday afternoon at the ONU Soccer Field.

The Polar Bears remain undefeated at 5-0 on the season, while the Britons fall to 2-3. ONU erased deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 in the second half.

In the second overtime, freshman Matt Kinkopf dribbled down the right side and sent a pass to freshman Austin Horton. Horton then sent a pass across the box to Prescott, who blasted home the game-winning goal for his third goal of the season.

Albion struck first in the 53rd minute off of a corner kick that was knocked in by Charles Micunek.

Northern answered at the 79:28 mark, when sophomore Shintaroh Itoh sent a ball to Kinkopf who beat the keeper to tie the match. Less than a minute later, the Britons took the lead back at 2-1, when a long ball found Kyle Alsheskie who beat freshman goalkeeper Evan Bader, who was drawn out on the play.

The Polar Bears would come back again at the 88:05 mark, when sophomore Chuck D'Imperio sent in a ball that was headed into the goal by senior Stephen Perkins to tie the game at 2-2.

"Albion is a tough team that will have a great year," ONU head coach Brent Ridenour said. "We never hung our heads when we trailed. I love how we kept battling and were able to come back twice."

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners