In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d2 flag | September 21, 2013

Roundup: Cal St. L.A. falls on the road

San Francisco State 1, No. 7 Cal State Los Angeles 0

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco State's Andrew Ogilvy connected on a free kick from Sam Merritt in the 22nd minute for what proved to be the game-winner in the Gators' 1-0 win against the Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles (4-1, 2-1 CCAA) on Friday afternoon at Cox Stadium.

Colt Reichl recorded a season-high 11 saves en route to his second shutout of the season. The Gators (2-2-1, 1-1-1 CCAA) also snapped the visiting Golden Eagles' four game winning streak.

The Golden Eagles outshot the host 26-11 including 11-1 in shots on goal attempts. Cal State L.A. also held the 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.

Andre Bissmark had a chance to give the Golden Eagles the early lead in the 18th minute, but Reichl recorded one of his 11 saves. Four minutes later, the Golden Eagles were called for a foul which Sam Merritt had the free kick sent into the box to Ogilvy to give SF State a 1-0 lead.

The Golden Eagles attempted to tie the match in the 31st minute, but Abel Feferi's attempt was stopped by Reichl.

Reichl came up big twice in the final minutes of the first half as he stopped Teferi's and Joshua Cortez's attempt to tie the match at 1-1.

Cal State L.A. had several attempts to tie the match in the second half including three in the final four minutes. The first one was blocked by the Gator defense off the foot of Daniel Rodriguez. Then less than 10 seconds later in the 87th minute, Rodriguez had his attempt stopped by Reichl. The visitors had more chance, but Reichl stopped Sigifredo Torres' shot on goal attempt to preserve the 1-0 Gator victory.

No. 10 Rockhurst 2, Bellarmine 2

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- In a physical match drenched by rain and delayed by lightning, Bellarmine fought back from a two-goal deficit to claim a 2-2 tie with the 10th-ranked Rockhurst Hawks.

In the first half of play, Rockhurst (3-1-1, 2-0-1 GLVC) jumped out to a quick start. Four shots by the Hawks in the first nine minutes challenged the Bellarmine defense to maintain the 0-0 scoreline early.

In the 19th minute, attacking pressure by the Hawks and junior midfielder Lucas De Rossi took a rebound off of a save by Bellarmine junior goalkeeper Blake Hunter and put it into the net to claim a 1-0 Rockhurst lead.

Bellarmine (3-1-1, 1-1-1 GLVC) fought back. Junior forward Kai Qualah's bicycle kick sailed wide of the frame in the 30th minute and a pair of corner kicks for the Knights created opportunities late in the half, but none resulted in a goal.

The beginning of the second half yielded similar results. Just three minutes after the whistle blew for the start of the second half, Rockhurst notched its second goal of the evening on an easy score for senior forward Mark Magee.

Bellarmine's pressure paid off late in the second period. With 10:15 left in the game, a throw in from the right side fell to freshman defender Zach Digan who tucked the ball into the goal past Hawks senior goalkeeper Ryan Bass for the Knights' first goal of the game, making the score 2-1.

Just a minute later, Qualah skied for another ball in the air and headed it back over the goalkeeper and into the net to tie the game at two.