In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d2 flag | September 22, 2013

Top 10 Roundup

No. 1 Simon Fraser 2, Northwest Nazarene 1

NAMPA, Id. -- Simon Fraser went to the locker room at halftime trailing 1-0 before using two second half goals to win 2-1, defeating the Northwest Nazarene Crusaders.

NNU got on the board early, scoring in the 11th minute with a goal from Fredy Razo, assisted by John DiLulo.

After over 30 minutes without any scoring the Clan had a chance to tie the match just before halftime when Lucas Ferritto was awarded a penalty kick, but Crusader goalkeeper Ryan Foo made the save to keep the home side ahead by one.

The Clan offence came to life in the second half to earn the win for SFU.

Less than two minutes into the half, Johannes Hallman scored his second of the season with Robert Hyams earning the assist.

The game winner came in the 74th minute when Carlo Basso took a long goal kick from Clan goalkeeper Brandon Watson and scored his second of the season to give the Clan the victory.

Watson made eight saves in the match and got an assist on the Basso goal, earning the victory.

With the win, the Clan improve to 6-0 on the season and 2-0 in Great Northwest Athletic Conference play.

No. 2 C.W. Post 2, Millersville 1

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. -- A second half surge by Millersville fell just short as No. 2 LIU Post held off the Marauder attack to defeat the home team 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

LIU Post (6-0) remains unbeaten. Eivind Austboe knocked in his seventh goal of the year, while Tom Bowen scored the Pioneers first goal of the game. Goalkeeper Marco Jorgensen made just two saves in the contest, but a penalty kick save in the 51st minute would help him pick up his sixth win of 2013.

Millersville (3-2-1) finished the match with a 14-13 edge in shots and 7-6 lead in corner kicks. Andrew Dukes' score in the 52nd minute was his second of the year, while Jeramey Robbins increased his conference leading assist total to six. Brad Benzing grabbed three saves in the loss.

No. 3 Rollins 4, Eckerd 1

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Behind a pair of goals from sophomores Tucker Hume and Grant Blackhurst, No. 3 Rollins improved to 5-0-0 with a 4-1 win against Eckerd (2-2-1) on Saturday evening.

The Tars dominated from the opening whistle, outshooting the Tritons 25-8 and took 11 corners compared the Eckerd’s three.

It wasn’t long until Rollins found the back of the net as Hume scored his first of the night just three minutes into the game. Setup by Brett Durrance, Hume was alone at the top of the box and drove it past Triton keeper Toni Virtanen.

Hume scored his second a little more than 10 minutes later, this time assisted by Rob Crowley to give the Tars a 2-0 lead. 

The score would hold into the second half when Eckerd finally got on the board, cutting Rollins’ lead in half in the 65th minute.

The scare would be short lived as a pair of scores by Blackhurst over the next 16 minutes put the game away.

Keneil Baker earned the win in goal, collecting two saves in 90 minutes.

No. 4 Notre Dame (Ohio) 3, West Virginia Wesleyan 0

SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio -– No. 4 Notre Dame (Ohio) used a strong first half performance to defeat West Virginia Wesleyan 3-0.

Making their debut on Normandy Field the No.4 Falcons (6-0) scored three quality goals in the first half of the game to secure the victory in wet conditions.

After just eight minutes Martin Lange opened the scoring for the Falcons. Scoring his second goal of the season, Lange scored directly from a free kick bending the ball over the wall and into the left side of the goal.

Four minutes later Christopher Fairley capitalized on a deflected shot striking a sweetly struck left -footed drive from 18 yards out.

Not to be out done Ryan Ware added a third for the Falcons at the 30-minute mark, with an equally well-struck left-footed shot. The ball fell to Ware just outside the 18-yard box, after a deflected shot, and without hesitation he rocketed the ball past the keeper and into the right side of the goal.

Despite the 3-0 deficit at half time the Bobcats continued to press the Falcons and upped their tempo in the second half. The Falcons responded well, using the depth from their bench to ensure their third shut out of the season.

The Falcons have now scored three or more goals in four games this season and have only conceded in three games.

No. 5 Wingate vs. Lenior-Rhyne

WINGATE, N.C. -- The South Atlantic Conference soccer doubleheader between Wingate and Lenoir-Rhyne, originally slated for Saturday afternoon, has been postponed due to the threat of inclement weather. The two matches will now take place Sunday at the WU Soccer Complex.

No. 6 Lynn 4, Florida Southern 1

BOCA RATON, Fla. -– Looking to rebound after a tough loss, Lynn did just that with a convincing 4-1 victory against Florida Southern on Saturday. Michael O’Neill scored his second goal in as many games and Jack Winter tallied two assists, including the game-winner. The sixth-ranked Fighting Knights improve to 3-1-1 overall.

Florida Southern (1-3-0) took advantage of an early gaffe in the defense to gain the 1-0 advantage. Jonathan Radvogin made a diagonal run towards the right corner of the field in the 19th minute where LU’s keeper, Harris Smiler, initially made an attempt to go after the pass but hurried back into net when Radvogin reached the ball first. The Mocs forward then chipped a shot on frame over Smiler’s head for the goal.

That would be the last shot for FSC until the 87th minute as the Fighting Knights defensive quartet of Jason Sangha, Javier Mochon, Charlie Anderson and Mykel Crostty, clamped down.

Lynn came out flying in the second half and found the back of the net in the 50th minute of play. Winter beat his defender down the left sideline and tried to cut towards goal but was denied by the Mocs central defense. Rather than force a play inside, Winter found O’Neill 25-yards out in the center of the field. O’Neill took one touch and unleashed a low line drive to the right side of the net for the equalizer.

Javier Mochon broke a 1-1 tie in the 71st minute of play, again courtesy of Winter. Taking a free kick from the far left wing, Mochon redirected what appeared to be a shot from Winter, inside the six-yard box for his second goal of the season and eventual game-winner.

The Fighting Knights’ offense was not done as Anthony Desperito drew a penalty kick less than two minutes later after being dragged down on the back line attempting to make a cross. Jake Furman lined up the penalty kick and buried the shot for his third goal of the year.

Chris Klarner then put the finishing touches on the match with his first goal as a member of the Blue & White. Sangha earned the first assist of his three-year career when he lofted a free kick into the box. Isaac Hamui got the first header on the ball and Klarner headed the second ball inside the left post to give Lynn the 4-1 victory.

The Fighting Knights outshot the Moccasins by a whopping 27-3 margin and held a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks. Smiler was held without a save but his counterpart, Andres Guzman, logged seven saves despite surrendering four goals.

No. 8 West Texas A&M 2, Texas A&M International 0

CANYON, Texas –- No. 8 West Texas A&M earned its fourth shutout of the season in a 2-0 win against Texas A&M-International on Saturday afternoon. The Buffs (5-0, 0-0 LSC) outshot the Dustdevils (1-4-1) in the contest 18-10.

WT pounded the visitors on the shot chart early in the contest with three coming in the opening five minutes. Sophomore George Beasley sent one high at the 3:30 mark. In the 5th minute, senior Carl Prestidge and sophomore Tre Norton added a couple just wide of the net.

Sophomore Austin Henderson placed the first WT goal in the net in the 28th minute for his first score of the season. Thanks to assists by Beasley and junior Daniel Angloher, Henderson was able to shake the keeper and Dustdevils' defense for the open-netter.

The Buffs would rattle off five more attempts in the remainder of the first half, including another one by Henderson and two going wide by junior Alfredo Chavez.

TAMIU was able to generate more on the offensive end in the second frame, forcing sophomore goalkeeper Garrett Cooper to pick up three impressive saves and keep the visitors off the board.

Just 30 seconds after being subbed into the game in the 65th minute, senior Chase Withrow added an insurance goal to the Buffs' total. Beasley and junior Conrod Goulborne worked together a few crisp passes into the center of the box allowing Withrow to tap in the second score.

Chavez led the home team in shots with three while six other Buffs manufactured two. Cooper tallied four saves in the game as he came up big for WT on several occasions in the second frame.