In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d1 flag | September 29, 2013

Top 10 Roundup

No. 1 North Carolina 1, No. 24 Wake Forest 1, 2OT

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- No. 1 North Carolina finished in a 1-1 draw at No. 24 Wake Forest on Saturday night at Spry Stadium.

North Carolina (3-1-4, 0-0-4 ACC) received a first-half goal by senior Josh Rice and that appeared to hold up until Wake Forest scored a goal in the 89th minute to send the match past regulation.

The match looked all but in the hands of the Heels after keeper Brendan Moore made a penalty kick save in the 82nd minute. Moore made another big save in the late stages of the second half when he pushed aside a shot of a deflection in the 88th minute.

However, the ensuing corner kick saw Wake score on a header by Jalen Robinson to send the game into overtime, Carolina's sixth match that hasn't finished in 90 minutes.

Moore made five saves on the evening, while Wake keeper Alec Ferrell had seven stops of his own.

No. 3 Creighton 0, No. 12 Georgetown 0, 2OT

WASHINGTON, D.C. -– In a battle of Big East preseason favorites, No. 3 Creighton tied No. 12 Georgetown 0-0 to extend the Jays’ program record of five consecutive double-overtime contests at the Hoyas’ Shaw Field on Saturday.

Creighton (5-1-2, 1-0-1 BIG EAST) is 2-1-2 in the five-game span of matches that extended beyond regulation after Saturday’s draw at Georgetown (6-2-1, 0-0-1 BIG EAST). It marks the first scoreless tie for the Bluejays since a 0-0 draw almost a year to the day at Drake on Sept. 29, 2012.

Sophomore goalkeeper Connor Sparrow earned his first start as a Bluejay against the Hoyas. He earned his first career shutout at Creighton after the scoreless draw. Sparrow made a pair of saves in 110 minutes of action to move his record to 0-0-1 this year.

Six other Bluejays joined Sparrow in playing every minute of the match.

The first half was evenly played as Creighton edged Georgetown 6-5 in shots and each team attempted a corner kick heading into halftime.

Creighton picked up the offense in the second half with a 9-3 advantage in shots. Both squads created scoring chances but neither could capitalize. CU attempted 20 shots in the match to just 12 for the Hoyas.

No. 6 Cal State Northridge 1, Bradley 0

PEORIA, Ill. -- With a header in the 89th minute, junior defender Tanner Snedigar scored his first career goal to lift the No. 6 Cal State Northridge Matadors (8-1-0) to a 1-0 victory against the Bradley Braves (4-3-1) on Saturday night at Shea Stadium. The Matadors picked up their eighth victory against a non-conference opponent this season, setting a new program record at the Division I level.

Snedigar, making his first start for Cal State Northridge this season, sent a header past Bradley goalkeeper Brian Billings with 62 seconds remaining to lead the Matadors to a hard-fought win. After entering the second half as a substitute in the 78th minute, Snegidar's freshness helped him pick out the cross from forward Beto Velasquez at the near-side post. Yarden Azulay was also credited with an assist for finding Velasquez in space prior to the cross.

In net, Adam Hobbs recorded his first official shutout of the season and has factored into every match for the Matadors. It is also the first shutout since a 3-0 win against Albany on the first day of the season.

No. 7 Northwestern 2, Michigan 0

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Seventh-ranked Northwestern opened up Big Ten Conference play with a 2-0 road victory against Michigan on Saturday night in Ann Arbor in front of 1,998 fans.

With the win, NU improved to 7-1-0 (1-0-0), winning its seventh consecutive game in a streak that has featured six shutouts.

Sophomore Joey Calistri and freshman Brandon Medina each tallied goals on the evening for the Wildcats. Calistri, who entered the game tied for fourth in the nation in goals, registered his eighth goal of the season, while Medina's goal was the third of his freshman campaign.

"We scored a fortunate goal in the first half to get the lead and then we scored a wonderful goal in the second half between Connor Holloway to Brandon Medina, with a beautiful slip to Joey Calistri," Northwestern head coach Tim Lenahan said. "Once we got the two-goal lead, when you're on the road, you sit in a little bit and force the other team to break you down."

Medina put the Wildcats on the scoreboard in the 28th minute when he connected on a challenging free kick setup 25 yards from goal on the right half of the pitch. It was one of two first-half shots for Northwestern.

The Wildcats added to their lead almost immediately after the start of the second half on the well-timed combination play between Holloway, Medina and Calistri at the top of the 18-yard box. That left nearly 45 minutes for Northwestern to protect its two-goal advantage, and the Wolverines would record eight second-half shots on their way to 15 for the game.

But Michigan struggled to keep their attempts on frame and junior goalkeeper Tyler Miller was able to make four saves between the pipes for his sixth shutout of the year and 25th of his career.

Both teams earned four corner kicks on the evening.

NU's seven-game winning streak is the second longest in school history (8, 1988). The 'Cats have outscored their opponents 16-1 in their current winning streak.

No. 9 St. John's 2, DePaul 2, 2OT

CHICAGO -- Trailing 2-1 at halftime after having an early lead erased by a pair of setpiece goals, No. 9 St. John's battled back and earned a 2-2 draw on the road at DePaul courtesy of a Daniel Herrera equalizer in the 79th minute. Sean Sepe netted his team-leading fourth goal of the season to help lead St. John's (5-2-1, 0-1-1) and Rafael Diaz made two saves. Koray Yesilli and Jake Rawlings each scored for DePaul (3-4-2, 0-0-1), while Eric Sorby made six saves in goal.

DePaul had the first scoring chance of the game as Kevin Beyer was able to roll a shot towards goal from just outside of the box in the 3rd minute, but Diaz made the save.

St. John's answered by converting its first scoring chance of the game and taking a 1-0 lead on a goal by Sepe in the 7th minute. After a long forward pass into the box, Sepe gained control and went to his left and towards the endline. Sepe then stopped and took a cut back towards goal before tucking a five-yard shot inside the post to give the Red Storm a 1-0 lead.

A foul near the right corner of the 18-yard box helped DePaul grab the equalizer in the 18th minute of play. Beyer sent the ensuing free kick towards the far post and Yesilli sent a header into the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1.

The Red Storm looked to respond in the 30th minute, but a shot by Sepe was saved by Sorby. Another on-target effort by Brandon Savino was saved in the 42nd minute as the game remained tied.

The Blue Demons, however, took advantage of another setpiece in the 44th minute to regain the lead. This time it was a corner kick taken by Art Garza that resulted in a header by Rawlings that got past Diaz at the near post to give DePaul a 2-1 lead at halftime.

St. John's created pressure early in the second half of action as Jamie Thomas forced Sorby to make a save in the 52nd minute before Sepe had a shot saved by the keeper in the 55th minute.

The Red Storm continued to attack as Jimmy Mulligan found space in the 59th minute, but fired a 20-yard blast wide right. Danny Bedoya then had a shot blocked by the defense in the 61st minute.

DePaul had only one shot on goal in the second half as a Simon Megally shot in the 65th minute was saved by Diaz.

St. John's continued to work for the equalizer and Mulligan fired a shot on-target in the 72nd minute, but Sorby tipped it past the endline for a corner kick.

The continuous effort paid off in the 79th minute as St. John's found the equalizer courtesy of a great strike from Herrera. After gaining possession in the midfield, Herrera worked his way up the middle of the field before uncorking a 30-yard blast that dipped below the crossbar and leveled the score at 2-2.

Now looking for a lead, St. John's continued to pressure DePaul as Mulligan pushed a shot high in the 80th minute. Another effort from Mulligan sailed high in the 87th minute and the game went into overtime.

St. John's worked quickly in an effort to get the golden goal as Sepe found himself behind the defense after a nice run down the left sideline, but a shot from inside the box was smothered by Sorby in the 92nd minute.

The Red Storm had another great chance at the winner in the 98th minute, but a header from Jordan Rouse went off the crossbar and the game went to a second overtime.

Neither team had a shot in the second overtime until Megally tried to beat the final whistle with a 45-yard blast that was well off the mark as the game ended in a 2-2 draw.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners