In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

soccer-men-d3 flag | October 4, 2013

Men's Soccer Action

No. 1 Ohio Wesleyan 6, Wittenburg 0

Senior midfielder Jon Stegner scored twice to highlight the Ohio Wesleyan offense as the top-ranked Bishops defeated Wittenberg in a North Coast Athletic Conference contest on Friday at the Jay Martin Soccer Complex.

The win increased Ohio Wesleyan's record to 13-0-0, continuing the Bishops' best start since 2005.

Less than 2 minutes later, Paolo Bucci and Stegner would team up to put the Bishops on the scoreboard, with Bucci crossing the ball to Stegner, whose shot hit the back of the Tiger net with 31:19 left in the first half.

Sophomore midfielder Brian Schaefer increased the Ohio Wesleyan lead to 2-0, making a run into the box and firing a shot into the left side of the Wittenberg goal.

Junior back Drew Pang made it 3-0 early in the the second half, heading home a corner kick from Shadoan in the 48th minute, and less than 2 minutes later, it was Stegner again, fielding a crossing pass from senior forward Taylor Rieger and finishing the chance to give the Bishops a 4-0 lead in the 50th minute.

Sophomore midfielder Ricardo Balmaceda scored in the 71st minute off a Bucci assist, and freshman midfielder Nick Norman finished off the Bishop scoring with exactly 9 minutes to play, courtesy of an assist from freshman midfielder Phoenix Neitzelt.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Wittenberg, 37-5.  

No. 7 Brockport 4, New Paltz 0

NEW PALTZ, N.Y. -- Senior Ryan Phillips scored his second goal in as many games just three minutes into the game to get Brockport, ranked No. 7 in the country, rolling early and the Golden Eagles cruised to a 4-0 win Friday afternoon against New Paltz in a SUNYAC game at New Paltz.

The win continued Brockport's unbeaten streak as the Golden Eagles improved to 8-0-2 overall 3-0 SUNYAC. New Paltz lost its second consecutive game and fell to 2-6-2 overall and 1-2 in conference play.

The first two goals for Brockport came off corner kicks as Phillips headed in a ball off a Matthew Roorda corner kick and with under 10 minutes to play in the first half, Peter DiLorenzo scored off a corner kick with assists from Dan Turchan and David LaPietra.

In the second half, Brockport extended the lead when Chris O'Gorman knocked in a rebound with the assist credited to Michael Bernard.

With less than 12 minutes to play, Brockport capped the scoring with a hard shot off the foot of Cody Zavaglia from just inside the 18-yard box. Ben Grimsley earned the assist as half the Brockport field players that appeared in the game earned points.

Casey Sullivan picked up the win in the Brockport despite an early exit for the first time this season. Sullivan made two saves to improve to 8-0-2 playing the first 70 minutes. Max Drexler played the final 20 minutes and stopped the only shot on goal he faced.

Brockport had a 21-13 shots advantage including a 13-4 edge in the second half. 

No. 8 Wheaton (Ill.) 3, North Central (Ill.) 0

WHEATON, Ill. -- Eighth-ranked Wheaton continued its latest trend of strong second half play on Friday night in scoring a trio of goals to defeat North Central (Ill.) 3-0. Wheaton closed a five-game home stand by electrifying the announced crowd of 1,436 at Joe Bean Stadium and moving to 2-0 in the CCIW and 8-3 overall. North Central fell to 4-4-3 overall and 0-2 in the CCIW.

Late in the 49th minutes, Noah Anthony played a through ball down the left side to Josh Clark who sent a centering pass to the middle of the box. That pass found Elliot Borge whose right-footed volley found the back of the net past a diving Kyle DeRaedt and gave the hosts a 1-0 advantage. DeRaedt kept the Cardinals in the game for much of the match with 12 saves but allowed three goals in the process.

Wheaton continued its possession advantage throughout the second half but it wasn't until late in the half that the Thunder were able to expand their lead.  In the 85th minute, Jordan Golz broke free down the right side and played the ball into the right side of the box for Adam Blackman. Blackman was able to quickly possess and rifled a shot into the net for a 2-0 lead at the 84:25 mark.

That margin lasted just 72 seconds before a beautiful sequence put Wheaton up 3-0. Blackman started the sequence with a stretching pass into the left corner for Marshall Hollingsworth. Hollingsworth one-timed a pass to the top of the six-yard box where Jordan Golz rose with a flying right foot volley that found the top shelf of the net for the game's final tally. Wheaton owned a 16-5 shot advantage in the second half and a 31-12 advantage in the match.