In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it | October 23, 2013

Tie Game

No. 1 Ohio Wesleyan 1, Kenyon 1

DELAWARE, Ohio -- Junior midfielder Colton Bloecher scored to wipe out a 1-0 deficit, but 20 minutes of overtime could not decide a winner and top-ranked Ohio Wesleyan and Kenyon played to a tie in a North Coast Athletic Conference contest on Tuesday at the Jay Martin Soccer Complex.

The tie ended Ohio Wesleyan's regular-season winning streak at 22 games, dating back to Oct. 10, 2012, but the Bishops' 23-game unbeaten streak in regular-season games continues.

Jeremiah Barnes and Andrew Parmelee did connect later in the first half, with Barnes serving the ball into the penalty area and Parmelee sending a header inside the right post to give the Lords a 1-0 lead.

The Kenyon defense kept the shutout going during the second half, blocking a pair of chances by Lee in the 68th and 74th minutes.

The Bishops got the equalizer in the 78th minute as senior midfielder Paolo Bucci played the ball up the right side to Lee, who centered it to Bloecher for the shot.

Rain started falling shortly thereafter, and the Lords nearly got the game-winner in the 83rd minute when Beemiller slipped on the wet turf. Tony Amolo, who had the ball near the right end line, was able to get off a shot at the unprotected goal, but his shot under pressure from a tough angle was wide right.

Neither team was able to assemble a dangerous chance during the overtime sessions, and the game ended in a deadlock.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot Kenyon 19-13. Colin Beemiller made 4 saves in the Ohio Wesleyan goal. Sam Clougher finished with 3 saves in the Kenyon goal.

No. 3 Messiah 2, Lycoming 1

WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. -- Messiah made quick work of the Lycoming on Tuesday to stay unbeaten in the Commonwealth Conference at 5-0. Brian Ramirez and Jeremy Payne each scored in the opening 11 minutes as the Falcons won 2-1 and also improved their record to 15-1 overall.

Brian Ramirez put the Falcons on top in just the sixth minute with an open shot past keeper Connor Keenan from just inside the top of the 18-yard line. Ramirez beat one defender before shooting after a pair of other Warrior midfielders seemed to look away from Ramirez in expectation of him pushing a pass to a teammate. The goal was his third of the season.

Messiah didn't wait long to build on its early advantage, with Jeremy Payne netting his 11th goal of the season in the 11th minute of play. The Falcons' midfielder took a through ball from Drew Frey as he crossed into the box and put a one-touch shot off the hands of Keenan to the right side of the net.

Though in total control the Falcons did not score again in the first-half; Messiah entered the break with a 12-0 advantage in shots with Keenan collecting four saves.

Messiah collected six more shots in the second-half but couldn't take advantage to build their lead.

The Warriors' only three shots of the game came in the final minutes. Their final shot by Myles Gortva in the final minute went for a goal.

The loss drops Lycoming to 7-6-2 overall and 2-3-1 in the conference.

No. 4 Rutgers-Camden 2, Cairn 0

LANGHORNE, Pa. -- The Scarlet Raptors outshot host Cairn 31-1 and beat the Highlanders 2-0 to tie the record for the longest undefeated start to a season in program history.

Cairn, which has lost six games in a row, falls to 7-9.

Despite a 13-0 advantage in shots and a 5-1 edge in corner kicks in the opening half, Rutgers-Camden didn’t dent the Cairn goal until 2:58 before halftime on a goal by sophomore midfielder Guiseppe DeLuca. DeLuca took a pass from sophomore midfielder Grant Taylor and lofted a shot into the right corner over Cairn goalie Dave Shaffer. It was DeLuca’s second goal of the season and the first game-winning goal of his collegiate career.

The Scarlet Raptors added an insurance goal only 3:33 into the second half when senior midfielder Stevan Austino tallied his fifth goal, assisted by senior midfielder Mitch Grotti. For Grotti, it was the 21st assist of his career and broke a tie he had with Mike Zeno (1992-95) for the all-time scoring lead at Rutgers-Camden. With a record 45 career goals, Grotti now owns 111 points, one more than Zeno’s old mark.

Cairn didn’t get its lone shot until 57:34, and Raptor senior keeper Mike Randall made the only save he needed to record his ninth shutout of the season.

Shaffer finished with 13 saves for Cairn.

No. 5 Stevens Institute 2, Rutgers-Newark 1

HOBOKEN, N.J. -- Fifth-ranked Stevens Institute defeated Rutgers-Newark 2-1 on Tuesday night at the De Baun Athletic Complex. The Ducks have now won their previous seven matches and are 12-1-1 on the season. Rutgers-Newark falls to 13-4-1 in the loss.

Senior back Leonardo Casas made a play to get the Ducks on the board at 24:06. Holding possession in the Stevens zone about 15-yards shy of midfield, Casas spotted sophomore forward Carson Pryor making a run and lofted a long pass down the left side. Pryor chased the ball down near the end line, beating Rutgers-Newark goalie Matt Broomall to it, controlling and then tucking a shot inside the right post for the score from a challenging angle.

Stevens saw its scoreless streak nearly come to an end with 15 minutes left in regulation when a shot from Raphael Araujo hit the far post. The streak did end with 6:24 left in regulation, when senior midfielder Brian Barrera one-timed a cross inside the left post for a tally that sliced the Stevens lead in half.

From a goal late in the first half of an Oct. 2 win at Wilkes until the Barrera marker in this match, Stevens had held the opposition scoreless for 505:26 of game time.

Senior goalkeeper Paul Killian made two saves and earned his 12th win of the season for the Ducks. Killian and the vaunted Stevens defense has only allowed six goals against the entire season, while the Ducks have scored 41 of their own which is good for a plus-35 scoring margin.

Stevens ended the match with a 12-9 edge in shots and a 6-5 margin in corners.