In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it | October 27, 2013

Top 10 Roundup

No. 1 Ohio Wesleyan 0, Oberlin 0

Top-ranked Ohio Wesleyan and Oberlin played to a scoreless tie in a North Coast Athletic Conference matchup on Saturday in Oberlin.

The tie continues the Bishops' 24-game unbeaten streak in regular-season games.

Ohio Wesleyan outshot the Yeomen 8-4 during the first half. Senior midfielder Paolo Bucci put a shot on goal midway through the period, but Yeomen keeper Brandt Rentel was there for the save. Three minutes later, senior midfielder Matt Shadoan had a shot saved by Rentel, and in the closing minutes of the half, it was senior forward Taylor Rieger whose shot met a similar fate.

No. 2 Amherst 1, Western New England 0

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- With less than two minutes to play, sophomore Nico Pascual-Leone scored the game-winner to lead second-ranked Amherst to a 1-0 win against Western New England Saturday at Suprenant Field.

With the win, the Jeffs extended their unbeaten streak to 33 games and improved to 11-0-2 on the season, dropping the Golden Bears to 11-4-3 overall.

Pascual-Leone led the team with four shots on goal and was assisted by Christopher Martin on his game-winner at the 88th minute.

A stifling Amherst defense allowed just two shots as they held a decisive 25-2 advantage in shots and 3-2 edge in corner kicks.

Thomas Bull recorded one save in net for the Jeffs and Domenick Villano posted three stops for the Golden Bears.

No. 3 Messiah 3, Widener 0

CHESTER, Pa. -- Joshua Wood scored in the 80th minute to start a late Falcons' assault and lead Messiah to a 3-0 win at Widener. His score forced a change of strategy by the Pride, allowing Jeremy Payne and Danny Brandt to add goals in the final minutes.

The win moves Messiah to 16-1 overall and 7-0 in the Commonwealth. Widener falls to 5-8-4 and 0-4-3 in the conference.

The Falcons controlled territory from start to finish but were unable to get through the Pride defenders and keeper Jakob Valdner. They attempted 11 shots before half, seven of which went on net and were grabbed by Valdner.

No. 4 Rutgers-Camden 4, Ramapo 1

CAMDEN, N.J. -- No. 4 Rutgers-Camden raced to a 3-0 lead and went on to defeat Ramapo College 4-1 in a New Jersey Athletic Conference game Saturday afternoon, soaring to new heights on the program and NCAA Division III charts.

With their win, the Scarlet Raptors raised their record to 16-0-2 overall, setting records for the best start in program history and the longest single-season undefeated string. The previous longest undefeated streaks had been 17-game strings by the 2004 team (13-0-4) and the 2011 squad (15-0-2). The 2004 streak opened the season to set the previous mark for the best undefeated start.

While raising their NJAC record to 6-0-2, the Scarlet Raptors also became only the 12th team in NCAA Division III history to stretch their overall unbeaten streak to 30 or more games. The Raptors, who are on a 25-0-5 run dating back to last season, are the third team on that list to reach a 30-game streak this season. Defending national champion Messiah saw its 33-game unbeaten streak snapped earlier this year, while Amherst College raised its record to 11-0-2 Saturday afternoon to extend its two-year unbeaten string to 33 games.

With 16 wins, the Scarlet Raptors also are three victories shy of the single-season program mark set by the 2011 squad, which went 19-3-2.

No. 5 Stevens 2, St. John Fisher 0

HOBOKEN, N.J. -- Senior midfielder Edward Rupp tallied one goal and one assist to lead fifth-ranked Stevens Institute of Technology to a 2-0 shutout win against St. John Fisher College Saturday at the De Baun Athletic Complex.

With the win, the Ducks clinch the Empire 8 regular-season title and No. 1 seed in the upcoming conference tournament. 

The Ducks improved to 13-1-1 overall and 5-0 in the conference with Saturday's win. It is the ninth shutout of the year for the Ducks and the team's eighth-consecutive win dating back to September 28. Fisher Drops to 4-9-2 overall and 2-4 in the conference.

The Ducks ended the game with a 14-7 margin in shots and a 3-2 edge in corners. Paul Killian made three saves to earn his fourth individual shutout of the season. Kyle Metcalfe recorded five denials for St. John Fisher.

No. 7 Texas-Dallas 1, Mississippi College 1

CLINTON, Miss. -- No. 7-ranked UT-Dallas wrapped up its final road trip of the regular season with a 1-1 tie with Mississippi College Saturday afternoon.

The host Choctaws opened the scoring just 79 seconds into the contest as Garrett Head lifted MC to an early 1-0 lead. The Comets countered in the 12th minute as Michael Matthews scored the equalized after a pass into the box from teammate Will Collins. The tally was Matthews ninth of the season.

From that point on, neither team could take advantage of their offensive opportunity. Both team finished the game with 21 shots with MC leading the Comes, 10-7, in shots on goal.

MC had a chance to take back the lead in the 25th minute as the Comets were called for a hand ball in the penalty box. However, UTD keeper Steven Nicknish collected his second save of a PK this season and also saved the ensuing shot by the Choctaws to keep the game tied 1-1.

The Comets had the momentum moving in their direction in the second overtime, out-shooting MC, 4-0, in the final 10 minutes, but could not find the game-winner.

Nicknish finished the contest with nine saves while giving up one goal in 110 minutes. Matthews led UTD with five shots, three of which were on goal, while Omar Jaroun finished with three shots.

No. 8 Wheaton (Ill.) 3, Millikin 2

DECATUR, Ill. -- Wheaton (Ill.) earned a 3-2 victory at Millikin on Saturday afternoon under cool and windy conditions. Wheaton is now 14-3-1 on the year and 5-0-1 in CCIW play.

Because of today's win Wheaton is now assured at least a share of the 2013 CCIW championship. 

Stephen Russo tallied Wheaton's first goal of the match in the 42nd minute to put Wheaton up 1-0. Russo's first goal of the year was assisted by Noah Anthony. Wheaton out-shot the Big Blue 12-1 in the first half and the Thunder led Millikin 1-0 at halftime.

Millikin tied the match at 1-1 early in the second half when Zach Solorio scored off of a Nick Abel assist. Wheaton regained the lead at 2-1 shortly after the Big Blue goal when Thunder senior Jordan Golz was credited with a goal to give the guests the lead. Marshall Hollingsworth scored his fifth goal of the year in the 63rd minute to extend Wheaton's lead to 3-1. Millikin responded again with a goal in the 70th minute to trim the Thunder lead to 3-2 as Ed Stalter scored for the hosts. Wheaton out-shot the Big Blue 4-0 following Stalter's goal and the guests hung on for the victory. Wheaton owned an 8-2 advantage in shots in the second half.

Senior goalkeeper Derek Babb started the match in net for the Thunder he did not face a shot on goal in his 45 minutes. Matt Paprocki played the entire second half for the Thunder, allowing two goals in 45 minutes. Millikin netminder Daniel Sinclair made six saves and allowed three goals in 90 minutes of work in the Big Blue net. Wheaton owned a 20-3 advantage in shots for the match, including a 9-2 edge in shots on goal. Millikin was awarded five corner kicks in the match, Wheaton attempted four.

Skidmore 1, No. 9 St. Lawrence 0

Sophomore goalkeeper Eli Kisselbach made several impressive saves down the stretch, and junior Brock Bakewell's goal at 34:52 proved to be the game-winner, as Skidmore College knocked off nationally-ranked No. 9 St. Lawrence in a Liberty League contest on Saturday at Sandy MacAllaster Field.

The Thoroughbreds, who put up solid defensive efforts across the board, improve to 11-4-2 and 5-1-1 in the league, ending the Saints' 13-game unbeaten streak. The Saints, who fall to 11-2-2 overall and suffer their first Liberty League loss (6-1), put plenty of offensive pressure on the visitors throughout the game, but couldn't put the ball in the net.

In the opening half, St. Lawrence escaped an early threat in the 26th minute when goalkeeper Aaron Costello made a diving stop and Dan Hunt was there to make a defensive save off a Thoroughbred put-back.

The Saints wouldn't be as lucky eight minutes later, however, as the Thoroughbreds broke through the Saints' defense and were able to score what proved to be the game-winner.  Nick Masiero beat his defender down the right side of the field into the box and hit a hard shot at the far corner. Costello made the initial save, but Brock Bakewell was crashing on the far side and had an easy shot off the rebound for his 11th goal of the season.

St. Lawrence had a relentless offensive attack throughout the game, holding advantages in shots (17-10) and corner kicks (13-4). The Thoroughbreds, however, came up with big stops when they needed to. Kisselbach finished with seven saves, including several in the final minutes, to improve to 8-3-1 on the season. Meanwhile, Costello made five saves in the effort, but suffered his first loss of the season to fall to 11-1-2.